Server strangely goes PW protected

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
motrfinger
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server strangely goes PW protected

Post by motrfinger »

So I'm playing and a friend leaves and try's to come back in after a few mins and messages me "what is the password" I'm like what? no PW so I reconnect and yep its pw protected. So I check teh control panel and it does not have a check mark for server protection. So I restart the server and problem gone. I review logs and find this which is pasted below. Where the XX's are is the pw for rcon. Worried at this point has my server been compromised. The ip is traced to nuclearfallout so I don't know what that means.

L 08/13/2006 - 13:26:02: Rcon: "rcon 244249591 "XXXXXXXX" logaddress 206.253.195.193 10000" from "206.253.195.193:36483"
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The line you are quoting must have been from the control panel's Rcon feature, available from the Server control tab. It is normal and would not have anything to do with your password problem.
motrfinger
New to forums
New to forums

Post by motrfinger »

Edge100x wrote:The line you are quoting must have been from the control panel's Rcon feature, available from the Server control tab. It is normal and would not have anything to do with your password problem.
its normal I understand however I did not have the control pannel open at the time and did make no such request. So again I'm confused as to how my server became passworded. Is there anything else to look for in the logs? Is this something that you have heard of happening? I understand poop happens just paranoid of something/someone messing with the server. Thanks for your information. :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Were there any rcon lines that referred to sv_password? Was a configuration file executed that might have contained one?

Is this a server that you ordered to be private, or public?

Since this is a server-specific question, it would be fastest and easiest for you to contact us using the Live chat button in the control panel, actually.
HelterSkelter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by HelterSkelter »

i have accidentally passworded my server before through amxmodmenu. My guess is you have an inexperienced admin checking out the commands