Clan name protection?

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
HelterSkelter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Clan name protection?

Post by HelterSkelter »

I would have though that this would never be an issue, but it has become one. I started and registered DUI on clanshack in '01 Alot of ppl wanted to join just because they liked the name. I have been hosted here for around 3 years. Recently we have been getting players in our server wearing various forms of DUI. One was banned for refusing to remove the tag saying it was his clan dUi. Now I come to find out they are less than 6 months old and hosted here. Is there no name protection, or am i free to start a clan nUclearfallout and have it hosted here?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

There's no regulatory body for clan names that I know of, and we do not feel it is our place to police customers' names just as we don't feel it is our place to dictate how customers' servers are adminned.

If you think this is a trademark issue, you might consider having a lawyer send the other clan a letter.

As far as whether you can start a clan with our name, we would consider it our place to police our own property -- we have the legal power to do so and it's clear to us who deserves to use it -- so the answer is likely no.
HelterSkelter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by HelterSkelter »

Just as you would not want anyone using your name, we feel the same. This is not a legal matter, this is about loyalty. You appreciat customer loyalty, how about a little loyalty from you, especially in light of the fact Ive paid you around $5000 over the years
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

HelterSkelter wrote:This is not a legal matter, this is about loyalty.
I consider it a legal matter more than anything else, being a freedom of speech versus trademark issue, and it's not something we are qualified to make a decision on.

It's also none of our business what clans or servers name themselves. It's not unreasonable to me that two clans could have the same three-letter abbreviation.

You're perfectly welcome to ban the other players completely from your server, and you really should consider contacting them about their name if you feel so strongly. Possibly they are considering renaming their clan anyway -- you won't know until you ask. Coming to us and posting in the forums should not be your first step (actually, it should not be a step at all, since email is better suited for complicated individual server issues, as we've said many times here).

Even if we did make a decision, and chose to terminate our relationship with one of you, that wouldn't help anything. That renter would simply go to a competitor and start back up the server, with the same name and a new IP. All it would create is bad blood.
You appreciat customer loyalty, how about a little loyalty from you, especially in light of the fact Ive paid you around $5000 over the years
This isn't a matter of loyalty in my eyes.

What is a matter of loyalty? Providing you exactly what you've been paying for over the years, and continuing to do so. A smooth-playing server, outstanding support, great control panel, etc. If you don't think that's fair -- don't think you come out even in the equation of your money in exchange for our service -- I must wonder why you are still with us.

If you wish to continue this discussion, you will need to email us at rentals@nuclearfallout.net.