West Los Angeles area lag last 1 1/2 yrs

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Ol'fart
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

West Los Angeles area lag last 1 1/2 yrs

Post by Ol'fart »

Hi,

I play on several servers that run here and I've had severe lag problems for the last year and half. I just switched from cable to dsl and the problem continues. p4-3.0,, 1 gb ram, ati x850 fresh os and game install. It dosen't make a difference what game I play, halo, gs, farcry, q4, ect samething. CS netgraph goes up and down like richter scale in earthquake. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

thanx in advance,
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

We would need to see some data like tracerts to the IPs that we host in LA. You can email them to rentals @ nuclearfallout.net along with a description of the issue and your public IP address.

If you don't know how to run a tracert, please read the tutorial here.
-Nick
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

This is to all servers and not just ours?

If so, you may need to look at your home situation and the programs you are running in the background. Are you running anything that might be taking bandwidth, or sharing your internet with anyone? Do you have a wireless or cable/DSL router that might need to be reconfigured or upgraded?
Ol'fart
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Ol'fart »

Edge100x wrote:This is to all servers and not just ours?

If so, you may need to look at your home situation and the programs you are running in the background. Are you running anything that might be taking bandwidth, or sharing your internet with anyone? Do you have a wireless or cable/DSL router that might need to be reconfigured or upgraded?
Fresh os and game install. new isp. router or direct makes no difference. any game anywhere. different computer. same thing. I can't be the only one. I think voIP traffic is may be the cause, started around the same time.
freedomsquad
A regular
A regular

Post by freedomsquad »

Hello I aswell experince lag on any servers encluding NFO i ran tracerts and to me it seems to be my connection not the servers i have a server in newyork and this happens a bit but i blame it on dsl as i have had cable and connection was always a bit better for me i have a 3mb dsl connection so your best bet is probably to upgrade your connection or deal with it but im not the professional but i figured id let you know your not the only one on dsl that has this problem. Well have a nice day
Ol'fart
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Ol'fart »

freedomsquad wrote:Hello I aswell experince lag on any servers encluding NFO i ran tracerts and to me it seems to be my connection not the servers i have a server in newyork and this happens a bit but i blame it on dsl as i have had cable and connection was always a bit better for me i have a 3mb dsl connection so your best bet is probably to upgrade your connection or deal with it but im not the professional but i figured id let you know your not the only one on dsl that has this problem. Well have a nice day
I went from 8mb/768k cable to 768k/128k dsl and the gaming is exactly the same. I live 2 miles from sony studios and that mmrp game is probably part of the problem. the net is just congested in my area. Verizon FIOS)fiber) is suppose to be rolling out but I don't hold out much hope of that helping. ;< (
Ol'fart
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Ol'fart »

Nick|NFo wrote:We would need to see some data like tracerts to the IPs that we host in LA. You can email them to rentals @ nuclearfallout.net along with a description of the issue and your public IP address.

If you don't know how to run a tracert, please read the tutorial here.
Tracert doesn't show anything. It's packets that have to be resent I'm pretty sure. Slow enough to effedt gaming, but not slow enough to show up on archaic ms net tools. my fav serv is nuclearfallout server 64.94.100.87. my ip is 71.160.86.204. any helpo insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Jeff in Culver City
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

Which part of the net graph is going up and down? If it was related to the tracert, then it would be the ms section. Your backtrace currently is perfect from our LA servers to you.
-Nick
freedomsquad
A regular
A regular

Post by freedomsquad »

o belive me when fiber optic is rolled out it will be alot faster seems how light is alot faster then electrons :) and from what i hear it will be better then cable internet
freedomsquad
A regular
A regular

Post by freedomsquad »

I was wondering were your located?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

freedomsquad wrote:o belive me when fiber optic is rolled out it will be alot faster seems how light is alot faster then electrons :) and from what i hear it will be better then cable internet
Signals actually travel faster in standard cat5 wire than in SM fiber due to extra "bouncing" the light experiences inside the fiber, and the fact that wire is actually quite fast.

The main benefit to fiber is that it is less lossy -- that is, signals do not degrade as quickly in fiber, and there is less overall packet loss. This makes it a cheaper and more reliable solution than wire when large distances or large amounts of data are involved.

With ISPs, the medium of delivery to the end user is actually much less important than the quality of the ISP's internal switching configuration and peering to the global Internet. Fiber is used everywhere nowadays except for the "last mile" link, and both fiber and wire (DSL or cable) can easily handle 6+ megabits per second with little loss (as long as the customer is close to the CO).
Ol'fart
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Ol'fart »

Nick|NFo wrote:Which part of the net graph is going up and down? If it was related to the tracert, then it would be the ms section. Your backtrace currently is perfect from our LA servers to you.
One picture is worth a thousand words. Is there a way to send you screen shots? I have the netgraph running and you can see for yourself.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Jeff in Culver City
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

You can email me them at nick (at) nfoe (dot) net. I'll try my best to help you out :)
-Nick