Problem with Level3

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Cobol
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Problem with Level3

Post by Cobol »

Last month we upgraded from Verio to Level3 to help improve things.. We got better pings for some local people.. Canadains now can actually play on our server.. They have HUGE ping difference and less choke.. so this seemed to be a great move..

Now this whole month i have been wondering my server has been empty most of the time. Turns out almost all my Cali guys have a certain amount of choke on the server.. and sure enough im gettinjg about a 5 choke on it from portlnad oregon... My local guys refuse to play on the server now... I had better performance from Verio..

Pings seem good... but how do u trace choke ?? dont know...
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

most likely the choke is determined by their rates they set themselves at, rate, cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate

check our LAG FAQ for more details.

I get lower pings at verio, then accelerated even better. Its all about your route, some people bitch, some dont. Its a game. Have them tweak their settings.

Nick
specialk
New to forums
New to forums

Post by specialk »

can you post a link to the lag faq?

I have 3 config files in my cstrike dir. I have 3 keys bound to execute these configs. They basically change the rate settings for me. One is rate 25000, cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate 100 and I call this a lan config. Second is general internet config running rate 10000, cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate 50. Last one I call modem setup and it runs rate 7500, cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate 35(default cs). Usually the modem config fixes choke for me, but sometimes I still get choke and have to manually change the rates even lower than 35. Is this normal?

I base most of these settings off BDS's HL netcode whitepaper. Interesting reading.
When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament it is "MonsterKill", In Quake3 it is "Excellent", in Counter-Strike it is "Kicked by console"
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

http://rentals.nuclearfallout.net/rent. ... nt=faq-lag

as for lan config, the 25000 will only work when the server is enabled to set the max at 25000

as for the modem config, cs is defaulted at 20, not 35.

while Im playing on the internet, i use 40's and 9999, 9999 is the max most likely

its all in the link above.
specialk
New to forums
New to forums

Post by specialk »

ahh, i thot the defaults were 35. My bad. Max rate for internet server is 10000 but I have heard that setting your rate to something like 9981.2132 with a decimal works better than 10000 or 9999.

Yes, to get 25000 the server must have +sv_lan in the start line but setting your client rate to 25000 wont hurt anything you just wont get 25k from a net server. I think I am going to tweak my settings in my configs a little tonight.

Is it unreasonable to run 100, 100 for cmdrate, updaterate for an nfo server? It should run fine of the latency and bandwidth is there but I have seen issues while running those settings against an nfo server.
When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament it is "MonsterKill", In Quake3 it is "Excellent", in Counter-Strike it is "Kicked by console"
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I wouldn't recommend using those settings (100/100) simply because your choke will increase. It will increase even if you have a fast connection and computer, for various reasons.

I've never heard that decimals work better for the rate. I believe that one is a myth ;)
specialk
New to forums
New to forums

Post by specialk »

like I said, I just heard about it and I have seen a couple cpl guys configs that have a goofy rate like that. Myth, maybe.

I have mixed success with the 100/100 settings. I know they are agressive but on a couple local servers I get 0 +/-2 choke and it plays great. But yeah, it depends on alot of factors and even on a lan it doesnt work great unless the server is running a rater >8000. I think that is the biggest issue with running the 100/100 is the servers rate.