Connection loss or period of high packet loss ?

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
PowersGaming
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Connection loss or period of high packet loss ?

Post by PowersGaming »

Our server has been running great until tonight, when it crashed. I read the following in the "Events Log":

Our monitoring system just notified us of a connection loss or period of high packet loss at our Dallas location that lasted from approximately 7:15pm through 7:19pm tonight. This may have been a DDoS attack, and we are carefully monitoring the circuit in case it begins again.

I was just wondering... Are all boxes in Dallas/Internap affected the same ? What is Inap doing to keep this from happening in the future ? Do we need to restart the server to help with getting it back on track ?

Thanks for your help !
Jason
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Connection loss or period of high packet loss ?

Post by Edge100x »

I was just wondering... Are all boxes in Dallas/Internap affected the same ?
When a bandwidth-based DDoS occurs that overwhelms the connection to InterNAP at one of our locations, it affects all servers at that location. We do our best to quickly post an Event like the one you saw, to keep all customers in the loop.
What is Inap doing to keep this from happening in the future ?
From the provider's standpoint (ours and InterNAP's), DDoS attacks unfortunately can't be prevented -- just reacted to. We react very quickly and contact InterNAP whenever there is an attack that overwhelms a connection at one of our locations to have them block that specific attack.

Most attacks don't overwhelm our connection (we typically have gigE's) and require no action on our part or theirs, unless we see a specific game server that is having problems.
Do we need to restart the server to help with getting it back on track ?
BC2 will auto-restart when it loses its connection to Plasma, so you don't need to do anything.