Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Post by kraze »

For anyone that has purchased a VDS especially for NS2 I recommend you install Win2k3. I am not entirely sure but it went from being an unplayable server to a rock solid 30 ticks with 16 players on an E3-1270.

I plan doing doing further research and adding more slots.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

Hey kraze let us know what you find with a higher slot count, try 24 :D
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Well...

I found that Win2k3 didn't actually make a difference at all. It was HPET that was causing issues. I disabled that and a normal 16 slot server played great, maintained a 29-30 tick consistently.

I ran a 24 slot and it played ok....The tick would drop down in to the 9 range and the server was definitely playable but was clearly skipping.

My advice would be to disable HPET on the VDS for NS2 and if possible have us move you to an E3-1270 or E5-2690.

I am still working with John to get this game added to our list of supported games but I think taking the slow approach would be best. This game needs some serious optimization!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

kraze wrote:Well...

I found that Win2k3 didn't actually make a difference at all. It was HPET that was causing issues. I disabled that and a normal 16 slot server played great, maintained a 29-30 tick consistently.

I ran a 24 slot and it played ok....The tick would drop down in to the 9 range and the server was definitely playable but was clearly skipping.

My advice would be to disable HPET on the VDS for NS2 and if possible have us move you to an E3-1270 or E5-2690.

I am still working with John to get this game added to our list of supported games but I think taking the slow approach would be best. This game needs some serious optimization!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Server been busy all day. Definite tick drop off over the course of the day. 8 core VDS and it still has issues. Running a little over 1.1 gigs of RAM.

kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

@TacTicToe, Go to the server control tab in your control panel and under "Advanced Options" change HPET to disabled. Restart your VDS, that should help with performance a lot.

With a 24 slot server on an E5-2690 you will still see performance drops but it should be a little more playable. You might want to considering dropping it down to 16.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Will do. I was running 24, since that was the default. I would bank a lot of people wanting servers will want it at least 24 slots. Server currently is a beast, no matter how you look at it. 8O Hate to see what happens if I were to try and add mods. :roll:
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Yea, I tried with 24 and it worked pretty good but I felt bad for the players in it :/
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
finn
A regular
A regular

Post by finn »

I purchased the 2-core VDS and bumped it up to 3 GB of RAM. I am running a 20 player NS2 server and it seems to run fine. Obviously it eats up alot of ram, but in game at 20 players I have been in it and it plays fine. (The server.exe sits at 750+ MB at idle.) I could be jaded due to my proximity to the server location, but I haven't noticed too many other players complaining. I just installed the DAK admin kit today and going to set it up for more control.

I am also running a DNS and IIS7 on the VDS as well.

I am going to see how far I can push the server by eventually running a DoD 1.3 server and maybe a CS:GO server.
finn
A regular
A regular

Post by finn »

And to add the server is running Windows Server 2008 R2
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

finn wrote:I purchased the 2-core VDS and bumped it up to 3 GB of RAM. I am running a 20 player NS2 server and it seems to run fine. Obviously it eats up alot of ram, but in game at 20 players I have been in it and it plays fine. (The server.exe sits at 750+ MB at idle.) I could be jaded due to my proximity to the server location, but I haven't noticed too many other players complaining. I just installed the DAK admin kit today and going to set it up for more control.

I am also running a DNS and IIS7 on the VDS as well.

I am going to see how far I can push the server by eventually running a DoD 1.3 server and maybe a CS:GO server.
What is the server tickrate? I have noticed that most players don't complain, it seems they are all used to laggy servers with NS2.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
finn
A regular
A regular

Post by finn »

Whats the tool to measure the tickrate?

On a side note, has anyone else seemed to have this problem when after the server has been running for awhile and you go to input a command into the server console like "status" and it just crashes? It doesn't do it if it is a fresh instance of the server, just when it seems to run for an extended period of time.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

finn wrote:Whats the tool to measure the tickrate?

On a side note, has anyone else seemed to have this problem when after the server has been running for awhile and you go to input a command into the server console like "status" and it just crashes? It doesn't do it if it is a fresh instance of the server, just when it seems to run for an extended period of time.
When you are logged in to the server type net_stats in to console.

I have not seen this happen to me before but I haven't used console a whole lot..
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Your CSGO server will eat up alot of RAM once your server starts to fill as well. Just keep that in mind.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

TacTicToe wrote:Your CSGO server will eat up alot of RAM once your server starts to fill as well. Just keep that in mind.
CS:GO for us does fine, the real killers are TF2 MvM & L4D2.