Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Post by IcEWoLF »

So I'd say a 3-4 core server is a must for NS2 and at least 3GB of ram is a must.
This game will eat up 1.2GB+ of ram easily and it will keep going down until you restart the server.

It's really hard on the machine when you run multiple servers besides NS2.

I average around 52-56% cpu usage when all of my servers are full including CS:GO, L4D2, CS:S and NS2.

Also it leaves me about 880-900 mb of ram available, Ideally I want to be above 1.5GB of ram, so I might consider adding an extra gig of ram.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I am not even sure if their team is even doing anything at this point to fix this game performance.

Ram Usage is still above 1.2GB at least.
I spoke to Max and he is working on reducing memory usage in an upcoming build. He said the animations take up about 1GB, so after the next patch ram usage should be within your average 200-400 meg range.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

We are going to be upgraded our Xen tonight.

Will this increase performance across all servers or just mainly NS2?

Could you give me a percentage on how much of an improvement the new xen version is?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

It should increase performance across the board but it is hard to say. In my test the new Xen version was anywhere from 10-15% faster in most cases.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

The game play feels very smooth, played for about an hour today and it felt great!

Great job NFo!

Now all we need is an rcon menu in control panel. :)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Once they release a Linux version it may be possible, with Windows it isn't.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The game's built-in web-based control panel is actually pretty decent. It has an rcon window on one of its pages.
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

Edge100x wrote:The game's built-in web-based control panel is actually pretty decent. It has an rcon window on one of its pages.
just got the server from nfo..love the web based control panel,makes everything pretty easy to maintain.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

just got the server from nfo..love the web based control panel,makes everything pretty easy to maintain.
Out of all the games which provide a web-admin it seems there is one of nicer and more usable ones.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
finn
A regular
A regular

Post by finn »

A user on the unknownworlds forum customized the built-in web admin to add a bit more functionality:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums ... pic=124162

My 2cents on running an NS2 server:

-Renting a 2-core VDS from NFO, bumped up the RAM to 3GB. Requested NFO to switch the VDS to a E5-2690 core. Running Windows Server 2008 R2.

-A fresh start of the server it sits at ~760MB (1.5GB total usage with windows and other processes) and 5-10% CPU usage

-When server is full it gets up to the ~1.2GB+ range (2.0GB+ total usage) and 50-60% CPU usage

-The tick rates usually stay around 30 during the early stages of a round and drops to 10-15 nearing the end, but still very playable as I play on it most nights when its full.

-A daily restart of the server is a must, as RAM usage will continue to increase if left untouched. I currently have my machine to restart every morning at 5:30am and to automatically load the server.exe

I dont have any complaints with the hardware and support that NFO provides when running an NS2 server on a VDS.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

finn, if you need slightly higher performance, you could switch to a 3-core VDS -- NS2 would use it just a little: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =88&t=8451
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

Is there an Ingame advertisement plugin for ns2?
finn
A regular
A regular

Post by finn »

Are you offering a free upgrade Edge? :wink:

I am on a budget so upgrading to a 3-Core is not within my range.

And in addition to my previous post if readers didn't realize it is an unmanaged VDS.

J-English, it takes a bit of background computer knowledge to figure it out. I haven't tried it yet: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums ... pic=124011
CommanderThor
New to forums
New to forums

Post by CommanderThor »

Hmmm, happened to notice an unexpected visitor to my server earlier tonight: http://atomicgaming.net/images/kraze2.png :3

If you don't mind (And if you can remember :P ), how well was the server running at 24 slots, kraze? (Server is "NS2 -Atomic- Chicago")
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

CommanderThor wrote:Hmmm, happened to notice an unexpected visitor to my server earlier tonight: http://atomicgaming.net/images/kraze2.png :3

If you don't mind (And if you can remember :P ), how well was the server running at 24 slots, kraze? (Server is "NS2 -Atomic- Chicago")

Well I picked it because it was one of the only servers that was at 100%, So it was playing pretty good. I'll remember to add it to my favorites and continue to play in it.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!