Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Post by kraze »

With the amount of criticism we received with our second server (the VDS), we cannot renew our NS2 box at this point unless you guys have made some more tweaks to sustain above average performance with a 20 slot (24 preferably). I am willing to try anything at this point. If you have anymore new suggestions I would love to hear it . I know you guys are doing your best, i just think the developers need to optimize it further. 10 years into a game and frankly it's ridiculous.
I may of asked this before, but are you running anything else on the box or is this strictly a NS2 VDS? Also with 20 slots you should be playing great, in my testing I saw the tickrate drop a little bit but that was when it got crazy intense(3 exo's, 3 onoz and the rest of the players in command going crazy). Other then that it stayed pretty rock solid.

There is no doubt that this game needs some optimization, hopefully they work on that sooner then later.

As for -console in your command line. Some guy on the forums mentioned it was causing a performance decrease on his server. His was running his server through Wine, though. However, I figured I would give it a go and I did. It didn't do anything dramatic but it seemed that it helped. Especially with all the debugging info they added in the latest releases.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

I think we had the console enabled.
We had 3 core VDS running a single NS2 server, nothing else running.

If you want i can submit a ticket with my user and login info for my unmanaged. You can then sign on and see if I don't have something configured properly?

Thanks
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Just post your identifier and I will take a quick peek.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

CSbox (used to be a for CS box just never changed name ;) )

Thanks
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I took a look and everything seems to be setup correctly. It doesn't look like you are on the new Xen, though. I believe we tried that but it didn't work to well at 24 slots. Did you ever try 20 slots on the new Xen?
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

i have not tried that. I guess we could try that again at 20 slots. I will submit a ticket.

Thanks
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

When the move completes set it at 20 slots and see how it performs throughout the game. If it performs well you may be able to get it up to 22.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

Will NS2 to be added to the gameserver list for rental sometime this month? or is there more testing to do.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

J-English wrote:Will NS2 to be added to the gameserver list for rental sometime this month? or is there more testing to do.

We are almost there, just ironing out a few bugs in the system. Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving I am not sure if we'll have it added by Friday but we are very close.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I hesitate to fully add it tonight because I will not be here to address possible glitches/performance problems/customer questions for much of the day tomorrow. I will likely have to push back the overall release to Sunday or later, with some limited private beta testing in the meantime. If you're self-directed and on a managed VDS or machine and would like to be a part of that testing, please open a support request and we'll talk to you about it.
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

Well after switching the box back to the new xen it is working a lot better. This is with a 20 slots. I mean it's not perfect but its not dipping into the single digits. Not sure why it was doing it initially

http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/server ... .218:27015

Typo and box specs are wrong so just ignore that part ;)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

That is always good to hear! Just spoke to Max as well and they are working on reducing memory usage, still not CPU but it's a start.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

I've been testing this out on my managed vds today and the server is currently full.

It's using up about 1.5gb ram with 20 players and about 18-20% CPU Usage increase with a full server.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2121/ns2e.png

P.S: I should specify my server specs 4 cores of a Dual Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge-E 2.9ghz)
& 4GB RAM.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Overall how is the server playing?
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

kraze wrote:Overall how is the server playing?
Come check it out: 66.151.138.231:27015

ATM I am a bit busy, earlier on it was running fine, I haven't had the chance to try things out atm. Too much Turkey :D