Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Florp Incarnate
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Post by Florp Incarnate »

Hello NFO support,

I intend to put up a dedicated server for Natural Selection 2. The release date is Oct 31 (9 days from now). Does NFO intend to offer Natural Selection 2 servers at or shortly after release?

Thanks in advance for your help.

NS2: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Post by Edge100x »

With so much else going on here at the end of October, it's going to be difficult to fit it in, but I'll try to investigate the possibility. In the meantime, you could run a server of this type through an unmanaged VDS or unmanaged dedicated machine.

The fact that they're using their own engine, which will require all-new tools to configure and more extensive exploration to understand and configure, and which likely comes with the standard set of new-engine bugs and issues, complicates this.
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

Any updates on this? I just want to know if i should switch one of my chicago boxes to unmanaged.

Thanks
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

No official updates, no. I have been running a test server for several days now and it doesn't look like the NS2 dedicated server has been optimized well. using 6% cpu usage and 900 megs idling.

Switching to an unmanaged machine would be your best bet until we can investigate further.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

What kind of losses would you expect from switching from unmanaged to managed?

Yeah i am aware it's a hog but they stated that they will look into optimizing it further. We'll stick with 1 server for now.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

You would lose almost your entire sver, most notable would be your IP's and files.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It might be be better to set up a second VDS if you'd like to experiment with this game in unmanaged mode and currently have a managed server -- in order to leave your current servers untouched. You could also save your servers/IPs by switching them to our regular shared hosting, but keep in mind that this would bring in another cost factor.
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

I was going to cancel the box anyway but there were some request for NS2 so i kept it. :p

CS:GO and NS2 would not work on a 3 core, since NS2 is very intensive at the moment.

Weird thing when you have 0 players it's idling at 6% when you have 2 players it goes down to 3% lol.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Any plans yet for NS2 servers NFO?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

There are no official plans, no :/

With the hurricane in NYC we have been extremely busy today. I am still running the test server and will continue to pass information on to John so he can decide if we will support it or not.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Sandy has been keeping us very busy indeed -- along with the other emergencies that tend to crop up! I plan to look at NS2 but have just not had the time yet.
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

Edge100x wrote:Sandy has been keeping us very busy indeed -- along with the other emergencies that tend to crop up! I plan to look at NS2 but have just not had the time yet.
Thanks for the update.

Lets hope it gets released soon. >.<
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Well I can tell you this much. The game being released had an update to the server itself. I decided to update it, and see how it runs. Thought NFO may choose to offer these servers, I would expect you'll be paying a hefty price on a PPS server. Running default setup, with 24 slots and no mods, game runs at 1.17 gigs of RAM sitting idle, at start up. I can imagine it going up considerably once players start joining. CPU usage will be at least around 10+%.

So all in all, while it is do-able, I think it will be pricey, until or unless they optimize things a lot. I will continue to monitor our server, but I have a feeling we are looking at a potential memory leak. I know the Steam forums are blowing up with all kinds of issues like lag, BSOD, slow load times etc etc. Looks to be a typical less the stellar launch.

Go figure.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

What's interesting about it is that they've been working on NS2 for something like 5 years =\. They've had plenty of time to tweak and test.

NS was also a big hog when it came out.. it still is now, in relation to other games from its time, but not in comparison to new ones.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I noticed with the latest NS2 update usage went up! CPU is still holding around 6% but it is now using 1.2GB as soon as it starts up.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!