Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Florp Incarnate
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Natural Selection 2 Dedicated Server

Post by Florp Incarnate »

Any updates here? We have purchased 2 different servers from other providers for a month to test and both have come up lacking in various aspects. We're looking at letting them expire at the end of November and would really like NFO to pick up the ball.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

We plan on taking a deeper look at NS2 this week. If all goes to plan we may have them to rent very soon.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

kraze's testing and tweaking have also shown that servers here should be able to capably handle at least 20 slots without performance degradation, even on most managed VDSes. This stems partially from our focus on only running very fast hardware.
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

Hey there,

So we tried the recommended box however it did not turn out to be great. It was the e5 i believe. People stated that the E31270 at least performed slightly better.

I also had HPET turned off as well.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

FAST wrote:Hey there,

So we tried the recommended box however it did not turn out to be great. It was the e5 i believe. People stated that the E31270 at least performed slightly better.

I also had HPET turned off as well.

How many slots were you running and what size VDS did you run? Were you assigning affinity to cores?
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

kraze has mostly be testing on E5-2690s. With specific configurations and tweaks, we've seen high performance with these, even using the largest servers. We should have more specific information to release after support for the game has been added to the system.
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

Hi

We've been using the 2690 as a test server. We were using a 3 core VDS. I didn't assign to any affinities and turned HPET off. We were only running 1 server with 24 slots. Tickrate was terrible it would fluctuate downward really badly. We had better success running with 1270 unless we did not do something correctly.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

The 24 slot is your issue. You wont be able to get a 24 slot playing perfectly. You will want to lower that down to 20-22. In your case you may want to start out with 20 and go from there until we can finish adding this game to our system.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

I am currently using unmanaged with NS2 and plan on keeping it that way since i will lose IP if I make the switch to managed (it is still a very popular server). Will there be a performance advantage running on managed?
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

I still say 16 is the sweet spot. Good balance, and the server runs pretty damn good.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Actually with the latest update and some server side tweaks John and I have done we are able to get a 20-22 slot playing perfectly. I don't want to jump the gun but currently all the "NFOservers" in the browser are playing great.

I don't know if they did anything in build 230 but CPU usage seems lower across the board.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

CPU usage does seem to be down, Im around 2%, but the RAM is at 750 megs sitting idle. I just dont understand why it has to be such a memory hog!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

One thing I have noticed is that it usually doesn't use more then that. I think the most I have seen was 1.2GB.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

We dropped it to 20 and same stuff. Tickrate falls past 15. We have 1 server (our own overclocked machine with 4.4 GHZ i7) and running flawlessly.

With the amount of criticism we received with our second server (the VDS), we cannot renew our NS2 box at this point unless you guys have made some more tweaks to sustain above average performance with a 20 slot (24 preferably). I am willing to try anything at this point. If you have anymore new suggestions I would love to hear it . I know you guys are doing your best, i just think the developers need to optimize it further. 10 years into a game and frankly it's ridiculous.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's odd that your experience varies so much from Kraze's testing. You're not running with the console enabled, are you?