NS2 - Server strangeness with 240 build

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Fausterion
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

NS2 - Server strangeness with 240 build

Post by Fausterion »

Has anyone gotten user complaints over various functions not working since 240 dropped? They claim that everything works OK on other servers. The first day of the 240 release, everything seemed fine. It wasn't till the next day that I started receiving complaints.

Some users, including myself, have experienced:

- Not being able to chat via text. Mic still works.
- can't evolve into anything as an alien (I can select upgs and higher lifeforms, but when I click evolve nothing happens)
- custom key bindings don't work anymore (can't use join team aliens, marines, or readyroom binds)
- can't do ANYTHING as a comm. For example, I can select cysts by pressing "a" or clicking, but they aren't placed whenever I click.

I disabled our mods yesterday in the afternoon with no changes. We scheduled a wipe/restore at 1:30 am. I have since had a user complain that they were still encountering issues post restore, specifically not being able to chat via text. I myself could chat via text this time, but my console binds still aren't working. I tested it out by joining some other random servers. With the exception of an official UWE server, I could not use my console binds (join teams, readyroom). I'm wondering if there's an element of randomness to these bug encounters. Anyone else experiencing these issues, or know how to fix this?
Fausterion
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Re: NS2 - Server strangeness with 240 build

Post by Fausterion »

So I've tested the issues a bit more on other servers. I noticed that the servers that I can't use console binds on, I also can't chat via text. I just had three other servers do that to me, whereas two others servers worked fine. It seems these issues have a relationship with each other. Someone else (Communistwithagun) suggested that the server might not be syncing with the client properly?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

It's not something I've seen in build 240 but I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it :/ I see you made a post on the mailing list. Might try the generic forums, instead not many players check that list.

One thing you may try doing is "verifying the integrity of the local game cache" in Steam. Also re-installing the game client side would be good.

After reading your post more in-depth it seems you've tested other servers as well that have had this issue. Anything specific about those servers by chance? Same map, mod?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Fausterion
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Fausterion »

Thanks for the response. Yes I made a post on the server op group. I was thinking about posting in the forums, but there's already a couple posts mentioning these issues:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discuss ... not-f4-ect

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discuss ... line-games

I'm not going to bother verifying cache or reinstalling as other users have done that but still encounter these bugs. It seems more then anything that changing your view from windowed to fullscreen seems to have some effect, but then some other users report that solution doesn't work. Sounds like it will ultimately be up to UWE to patch this issue.

They weren't yellow servers. It's possible some of them might be running DAK. Our server was still "causing" this issue even after being wiped/restored.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I've spent some time trying to duplicate your results but I haven't been able to. It seems Brian has gotten involved on the server group so lets wait a little bit and see if he can come up with anything.

I will continue to dig and see what I can find out.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Fausterion
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Fausterion »

Hi Kraze,

This thread has been pretty active on the issue if you want to read up:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discuss ... not-f4-ect

We're scheduling another wipe/restore of the server, and going to leave it at defaults this time for playtesting reasons.

FYI Some modded and unmodded servers provide fertile ground for this bug state, yet no one as of yet has been able to encounter this bug state on an official UWE server.
Last edited by Fausterion on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Been working with Brian in the server ops forums. Were still looking in to it though.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Fausterion
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Fausterion »

I just read through that thread. I totally forgot about it as I got involved in the thread on the UWE forums instead. Any word when these firewall rules will be altered?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Were still looking in to it, I don't have any further information at this point.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

This should be resolved now. The problem was due to a specific firewall rule that was added in response to a type of attacks we've seen frequently used on Garrysmod servers (which also run on port 27015). We've adjusted that rule now.

Thanks to the customers who reported this and provided reproduction steps, and to Brian @ UWE for troubleshooting it further with us.
Fausterion
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Fausterion »

The issue is indeed resolved. We no longer encounter this bug on the OldF Geriatric Ward server. Thanks to UWE and NFO for all the hard work!
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

NS2 is buggy, when I minimize the screen for a short while my game gives me error and it crashes, it use to never do that before the update.
Fausterion
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Fausterion »

Icewolf: you should have a look here (if you haven't already):

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/categor ... al-support

You might find a solution to your problem. Start a new thread if you don't find anything related to your problem.

Kraze: Is NFO going to be installing the optional server patch mentioned here?

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... gZ9hJFVrRo

This patch fixes the web admin issue which was a result of the recent hotfix. OldF would definitely appreciate it if NFO installs this patch. If it's something easily done on our end, please let us know how.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

raze: Is NFO going to be installing the optional server patch mentioned here?

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... gZ9hJFVrRo

This patch fixes the web admin issue which was a result of the recent hotfix. OldF would definitely appreciate it if NFO installs this patch. If it's something easily done on our end, please let us know how.
We'll most likely follow our normal routine with optional server patches. Which is to roll them out to the base folders and have a server repair apply it.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Fausterion
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Fausterion »

Excellent, thank you. ETA on server update?