Latency

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
ixb
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Latency

Post by ixb »

Hi,

We're a west coast clan with players in Seattle, Portland, Cali, Phoenix and one guy in UTAH. My question is regarding latency or ping, we plan on getting a cod4 and css server as well as a mumble server, let's say we get a server in northern Cali to satisfy all west coast players will it be GREAT for all?

Under what number # of ms (latency) would a player be able to play and talk, this is for a game server and voice server we'd like to get, ex: anything under 45ms is good for gaming". I'm told latency is a key factor for gaming.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Latency

Post by kraze »

We're a west coast clan with players in Seattle, Portland, Cali, Phoenix and one guy in UTAH. My question is regarding latency or ping, we plan on getting a cod4 and css server as well as a mumble server, let's say we get a server in northern Cali to satisfy all west coast players will it be GREAT for all?
I would expect it to be good for everyone, yes. We can also take a look and users routing and tweak it if needed for a better experience if we determine there is an issue.

We have a list of our network locations here so you can your friends can see their ping:
https://www.nfoservers.com/networklocations.php
Under what number # of ms (latency) would a player be able to play and talk, this is for a game server and voice server we'd like to get, ex: anything under 45ms is good for gaming". I'm told latency is a key factor for gaming.
Some may disagree with me but I say anything under 100 you are ok. While is lower is good having a slightly higher ping such as 90-100 isn't terrible and I wouldn't expect it to cause you any issues.
In theory you can actually have a high latency and do most things just fine. Gaming not so much but VOIP is very forgiving for high latency.

On top of that just about all games incorporate some type of lag compensation for players. This will balance out users which have a high ping vs the ones with a low ping(You see this in-game when you are behind a wall on your screen yet you get shot).
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
ixb
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ixb »

Perhaps I could get others opinions on what's a good number of (ms) to be playing at, what about professionally and casual play what's accepted?

As per the locations you mentioned, we don't like many locations as we find it to be a tool of marketing.
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Spray »

I think a ping under 100ms is usually considered optimal by most players. When it comes to league play, the rules usually state that the average ping of a team should be fairly balanced with the average ping of another team, not that all players must have a low ping.

If you have all west coast guys and get a server in Los Angeles or Seattle, your pings will more than likely be in <50ms range, but you can use the page that kraze linked to confirm that.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Why not just use a central location, where you will all get equally good pings? Like Texas or Chicago?
IcEWoLF
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by IcEWoLF »

TacTicToe wrote:Why not just use a central location, where you will all get equally good pings? Like Texas or Chicago?
Chicago is not that great for Oregon,Cali, & AZ...
I am in Nevada and I get about 75-80 m/s to Chicago.

Most of his users are in the west, so most of his users will get the best experience if the server was located in Los Angeles..