Wipe and restoration questions

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
MJExplorer
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Wipe and restoration questions

Post by MJExplorer »

Hi! I'm a new customer and I've been hunting around for information regarding backups. I understand that you can schedule a wipe (which presumably restores the server to the state it was at when you first got it) that happens late at night. I understand that due to resource constraints and/or security concerns, users can't have access to instant wipes at the current time.

My impression is that there is not currently a feature for backing up and restoring the server, maybe for similar reasons.

So just so I'm clear, tell me if this is right:

My server is vanilla.
I attempt to install some sort of mod for my server.
I have problems with my server and decide I want to go back to how things were before.
There is no feature in the control panel (or otherwise) to rollback the server.
My only option is to either request a wipe late at night OR try to go through and delete all the files I added.

Yes? correct? Or is there some secret option like submit a help ticket and someone can roll the server back for me? Installing mods is scary :P

Thanks!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Wipe and restoration questions

Post by kraze »

We do have a backup and restore system in place for all services excluding unmanaged dedicated machines and unmanaged VDSs.

For game servers they are backed up on a weekly basis in the morning starting on the day when you ordered your server. Webhosting is backed up on a daily basis incase of an emergency.

Certain games such as Minecraft have a snapshot system which takes hourly snapshots, which can be restored at anytime on the "File manager" tab in your control panel.

Due to performance reasons you are correct that wipes cannot always be scheduled immediately but you can schedule a server wipe to occur at 1:30 A.M and for a server restore to occur after that. You can also contact us first to see if one can be started sooner.
My server is vanilla.
I attempt to install some sort of mod for my server.
I have problems with my server and decide I want to go back to how things were before.
There is no feature in the control panel (or otherwise) to rollback the server.
My only option is to either request a wipe late at night OR try to go through and delete all the files I added.

Yes? correct? Or is there some secret option like submit a help ticket and someone can roll the server back for me? Installing mods is scary
That is correct to a certain degree. You should always keep track of things you've added to your server and test each change to confirm the server works before proceeding. Doing so will allow you to easily remove the files that are causing issues.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!