Request to add Contagion Hosting

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Crow__
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Request to add Contagion Hosting

Post by Crow__ »

Contagion by Monochrome is being released today. Luckily I have had early access thanks to a friend and was able to host many multiplayer games and it is an absolutely amazing game.
I would like to see if NFO can offer hosting service for it. I personally would like 2 servers 1 public, 1 private. It has a good following and believe it would be profitable to offer hosting service for it.
Thanks for you consideration. I look forward to hearing back on this subject.

David "Crow"
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Request to add Contagion Hosting

Post by Edge100x »

I remember the Monochrome guys mentioning that this would be released in the fall and were looking at server providers. I haven't heard from them in quite some time, though, and I haven't looked at the game yet.

The timing is not good right now because of the BF4 release, which is taking most of our focus. But, I can try to look at it next week. If it's based on one of the Source engine versions, and has files available through SteamCMD, it should be a relatively easy addition -- though it's hard to predict the resources it would take.
Crow__
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Crow__ »

Yeah they have contracted with GS and even have a link ingame to them.. Might be something you can talk to them about and see if you do hosting to get a link too?? It is easy to setup servers for it tho im not sure exactly what it would take to set it up on your end.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

A quick browse of their forums indicate they are using a source engine, although they did not specify due to a NDA they signed. They claim it is heavily modified(probably making it difficult to guess resource usage). The game costs $15 on steam right now, and I have read that windows binaries are available to run game servers from that download, but I guess you would have to follow up with them on that. I did see a post by the Monochrome CEO, which really surprised me: http://www.monochrome-games.com/forums/ ... .php?t=679

Hope I gave a little insight john, it was very quick and dirty research.
Not a NFO employee
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

Tried to use Steamcmd to install the server files, and apparently it requires you to own the game first before you can install the server files.
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Yeah, which is why I included the price and suggested to talk to them about getting server files instead of buying them.
Not a NFO employee
Prolifik
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Prolifik »

Any info on this? Would love to be able to get a server going.
SLgaming.org
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

me too,I wouldnt mind having this hosted on our VDS for sure.
Prolifik
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Prolifik »

Nothing on this?
SLgaming.org
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

We still tend to avoid games which are an alpha/beta state since they will drastically change throughout this process.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I looked at it briefly when adding NMRiH -- I was poised to add it and had all the hooks in place -- but because it did not have a quick and easy server download, I skipped it at that time. I can try to revisit it later, but there are a lot of other, high-priority concerns =\.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

John-

In order to run the game, you need to own a copy to download and install the game. Once you have it downloaded, you do not need Steam or its account running to run the server. It actually comes with its own dedicated server exe. Once you have the files, it would simply be a matter of copying to the machines you want to run them on. However, it is a bit of a pain, and unless you get a huge demand for it, your time probably would be best spent elsewhere.

I went ahead and put a server on my VDS, just to see how it runs and what kind of resources it uses. Looks to be comparable to CSGO.

PS: Actually it might be a good little project for Kraze to tinker with. :wink:
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I'm sure john knows this, but as far as I can tell, any game can be downloaded using steamcmd, even game clients.
Not a NFO employee
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

There are many games out there, usually indie developers that dont know what they are doing, that you can not download via steamcmd, without owning it. Using the steamcmd alone is not enough. Games that come to mind, Dino D-Day, Takedown Red Sabre, and this game. If you try to download it without owning a copy, you get an error like "no subscription" or something to that affect. I went ahead and got the 4 pack just in case some friends want to check it out. But I dont think you will get around the need to own thing, unless the developers set it up that way. Stupid on their part not to.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

soja wrote:Yeah, which is why I included the price and suggested to talk to them about getting server files instead of buying them.
I know tictactoe :P The same goes for COD4 in the day, you needed to own the game to have the server files(same as client files with some unneeded stuff stripped out).

The game is only $15, and to permanently have available doesn't seem like too much of an investment.
Not a NFO employee