Need Help with the Basics of Setting up a Server

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
gordythepirate
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Need Help with the Basics of Setting up a Server

Post by gordythepirate »

So bear with me, but I'm trying to set up a G-Mod server for the first time, and I'm completely clueless as to what I'm doing.

Specifically, I'd like to set up a Trouble in Terrorist Town server. I've read that all you have to do to change gamemodes is go to "Easy setup" in your Control Panel and change the text under "Default game mode:" to gamemode terrortown, but it remains in sandbox even after a server restart. If someone could run me through the process step-by-step, I'd really appreciate it!

In a similar vein, how can I access my server files through FTP? I'm completely new to file transferring, and have only just downloaded FileZilla. To connect to my server's files I entered my hostname in the dialog box, but I'm not sure what my username or password are supposed to be.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Sorry about posting in the general thread, but I figured FTP use wouldn't fit with the GMod subthread.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Need Help with the Basics of Setting up a Server

Post by kraze »

Specifically, I'd like to set up a Trouble in Terrorist Town server. I've read that all you have to do to change gamemodes is go to "Easy setup" in your Control Panel and change the text under "Default game mode:" to gamemode terrortown, but it remains in sandbox even after a server restart. If someone could run me through the process step-by-step, I'd really appreciate it!
What is the exact text you're entering into the gamemode box? You should be entering "terrortown" and saving, then rebooting the server.
In a similar vein, how can I access my server files through FTP? I'm completely new to file transferring, and have only just downloaded FileZilla. To connect to my server's files I entered my hostname in the dialog box, but I'm not sure what my username or password are supposed to be.
We actually have a guide on how to do that here.
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =24&t=8044
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!