Which VPS plan should i get?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
magiccarpet
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Which VPS plan should i get?

Post by magiccarpet »

I current am running a 50 slot Garry's Mod server over at Vilayer.com
and anytime we get over 30 players it starts lagging, especially with a full server. ( and vehicles )
We're running DarkRP and have TDM and M9k installed.
I've been looking at your VPS server plans and wondering which plan do you recommend
to have 0 lag with say 70 players on. ( We have big plans )
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Which VPS plan should i get?

Post by kraze »

magiccarpet wrote:I current am running a 50 slot Garry's Mod server over at Vilayer.com
and anytime we get over 30 players it starts lagging, especially with a full server. ( and vehicles )
We're running DarkRP and have TDM and M9k installed.
I've been looking at your VPS server plans and wondering which plan do you recommend
to have 0 lag with say 70 players on. ( We have big plans )
A VDS could be a good option for you but the biggest issue I can see if you plan on running big server(s). Since Garrysmod is primarily a single threaded application it won't take advantage of multiple cores. That means as soon as you max out your primary thread your server is going to start having issues.

How many servers are you planning on running out of the gate?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
magiccarpet
New to forums
New to forums

Post by magiccarpet »

kraze wrote: A VDS could be a good option for you but the biggest issue I can see if you plan on running big server(s). Since Garrysmod is primarily a single threaded application it won't take advantage of multiple cores. That means as soon as you max out your primary thread your server is going to start having issues.

NFO's cheapest Dedicated server is $170. A month.
I'm probably just going to be running the one server on it.
So your telling me it won't make a different if i purchased the
two core $30 plan over the six core $90 plan
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

magiccarpet wrote:
kraze wrote: A VDS could be a good option for you but the biggest issue I can see if you plan on running big server(s). Since Garrysmod is primarily a single threaded application it won't take advantage of multiple cores. That means as soon as you max out your primary thread your server is going to start having issues.

In general, yes. have you looked at your standard Garrysmod servers from us?
https://www.nfoservers.com/order.php
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
magiccarpet
New to forums
New to forums

Post by magiccarpet »

kraze wrote:
magiccarpet wrote:

In general, yes. have you looked at your standard Garrysmod servers from us?
https://www.nfoservers.com/order.php
But how can I know it will be a better server than the current one at vilayer?
It's not going to be worth an IP change if there's not really a difference.
( Plus Vilayers alot cheaper )
magiccarpet
New to forums
New to forums

Post by magiccarpet »

I think I'm going to go with the 4 core, you guys think that'd be fine?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

But how can I know it will be a better server than the current one at vilayer?
It's not going to be worth an IP change if there's not really a difference.
( Plus Vilayers alot cheaper )
Unlikely most companies we've been in business for over 10 years and know what it takes to properly run servers. This involves owning all of our own equipment and purchasing top-tier Internap bandwidth directly from Internap and not from a reseller.

Due to this we're one of the only GSP's out there which can offer a performance guarantee and SLA.
https://www.nfoservers.com/performanceguarantee.php
https://www.nfoservers.com/sla.php

Some other host are cheaper than us simply because they don't match the quality we offer. If you compared some other host you'd notice the difference is really only a few dollars, sometimes it's even pennies. Some things you could ask yourself to see if the price increase is worth it would be..

- Does your other host offer 24/7 support with response times ranging in 1-5 minute area?
- Do they use cookie-cutter systems such as TCadmin/WHMCS or did they design their own from scratch?
- Any type of service guarantee, such as a performance guarantee or SLA?
- Are they using Internap bandwidth or just the cheapest provider in their area?
-Do they grandfather in their prices(I.E your price cannot go up, no matter up)?

There are plenty more but that should be enough to be you started. I'd encourage you to read our testimonials and flames section on our forums. We're actually one of the only providers that allows customers to express any dissatisfaction with our service publicly. Contact our support and observe our answers/response time. You should be very satisfied with both.
I think I'm going to go with the 4 core, you guys think that'd be fine?
As mentioned above, Garrysmod is mainly a single threaded application and won't take advantage of multiple cores. More cores would mean more game servers, though. In general a VDS would work just fine for a standard Garrysmod servers, however, it's not common for server owners to leave their servers running stock. Most will add a lot of addons/content to it and that's what causes problems/increases usage.

If you've never rented from us before I'd encourage you to take advantage of our free two-day trial. This trial is 100% free and doesn't require any money up-front. During this time you can order our services and test it out for two full days to see how it performs. I'd encourage you to test a standard game server from us and a VDS.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
magiccarpet
New to forums
New to forums

Post by magiccarpet »

I actually perfer TCAdmin and WHMCS but yeah I get your point. I guess I'll take the risk and use up the 2 day trial, if there's definitely a performance Increase I'll stay for sure. Thanks!
magiccarpet
New to forums
New to forums

Post by magiccarpet »

"You selected the package summarized below to be created on your managed machine nyc-virtual-redarkrp. If you haven't already activated from the confirmation page presented to you at the completion of your order, please trigger the creation through the Payments page in your control panel whenever you are ready. Your setup should be finished within 15 minutes of when you activate the subscription. "
1 and a half hours later....
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

magiccarpet wrote:"You selected the package summarized below to be created on your managed machine nyc-virtual-redarkrp. If you haven't already activated from the confirmation page presented to you at the completion of your order, please trigger the creation through the Payments page in your control panel whenever you are ready. Your setup should be finished within 15 minutes of when you activate the subscription. "
1 and a half hours later....
You should contact us via the help tab in your control panel so we can take look. Creations are automatic but VDS's can take a little while since it has to install the OS.

You should also be sure that you activated the server via the payments tab in your control panel.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
magiccarpet
New to forums
New to forums

Post by magiccarpet »

yeah it finally got finished, anyways I'll post my review here in a day or so whether or not i like the service.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I have experience with your old host, leave as soon as you can. They buy garbage servers from any datacenter and overload the crap out of them. They are money grabbers, they do not care about their customer.

70 slots on a VDS here will likely not be possible. Depending on your configs, I could see 50 slot max at <33 tick. I recently helped a NFO customer out of a jam, and he runs a darkrp server off an unmanaged VDS here.

It is very hard to judge GMOD server performance, since it only takes 1 prop spammer to lag a server, or an inefficient building. Shared hosting (64 slot max) would be a better option, we got a DarkRP server running fine on our managed machine(near identical to shared hosting in terms of server access).
Not a NFO employee
magiccarpet
New to forums
New to forums

Post by magiccarpet »

This is my review for NFO:
NFOServers with almost a full server have absolutely no lag with cars and flying hoverball death machines everything still runs smooth with a $60 VPS, I've had great fast support so far.
The only thing that I don't like is NFOs managed control panel, I understand they take pride in developing their own control panel and not going with the TCAdmin. I don't believe TCAdmin is cheap at all, I think it's a well developed user friendly interface. I don't really mind the NFO control panel, I just wish they'd add support for unzipping zipped files. It's a pain in the neck uploading 20,000 files instead of just one zipped file. ( It takes alot longer ). Other than that great service!
Madhavok
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Madhavok »

You should post that in the Testimonials section for everyone to see!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197986357938]Image[/url]
aStonedPenguin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by aStonedPenguin »

magiccarpet wrote:This is my review for NFO:
NFOServers with almost a full server have absolutely no lag with cars and flying hoverball death machines everything still runs smooth with a $60 VPS, I've had great fast support so far.
The only thing that I don't like is NFOs managed control panel, I understand they take pride in developing their own control panel and not going with the TCAdmin. I don't believe TCAdmin is cheap at all, I think it's a well developed user friendly interface. I don't really mind the NFO control panel, I just wish they'd add support for unzipping zipped files. It's a pain in the neck uploading 20,000 files instead of just one zipped file. ( It takes alot longer ). Other than that great service!
If you use WinSCP as you FTP client you can just drag and drop all those files painlessly.