Fastest/Best Way to Keep VDS Files Synced to My Desktop

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Fastest/Best Way to Keep VDS Files Synced to My Desktop

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

As the subject states, what is the most efficient way? I was thinking something along the lines of having a dedicated server installation on my home pc, where I can create plugins, modifications, file management and the like, and use the Drive desktop folder feature to keep them constantly updated to my Drive account. From there, is there some way another computer could be sent the files automatically, for example the Drive desktop folder which syncs to Drive automatically might work for this, that my Drive desktop folder is the server files itself? Speaking strictly windows, of course, when I'm able to move over to Linux, I believe Insync can simply replace the folder feature and work entirely as-is after the switch. Is this feasible? Is something like Git/Mercurial pushing and receiving (however tedious, also knowing I have to learn how to use Git/Mercurial) more feasible/reliable for something like this or is the Drive method?

I ask because when creating plugins, even saying "Oops, I forgot a word in a string.", recompile, reupload to Drive, log into VDS, redownload from Drive, and then continuing is starting to get RATHER dissapointing.

I've tried to setup WinSCP for the VDS, I installed the client on my PC and entered in what I believe to be the correct credentials, but when I hit start connection (or whatever it be), it returns an error saying "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Connection failed." I'm using default FTP protocol on the default port no-encryption as per default.

tl;dr
3 Choices, which is the most reasonable/able/feasible:

-The first taking a while to setup, but absolutely trivial in the end, all I have to do is wait in order to update file, Google Drive desktop folder automatic syncing.
-The second also taking a while to setup, but a bit tedious with the commands needed and can get tiresome, not recommended, but better than what I'm going now, Git/Mercurial pushing/syncing.
-The third being the favorite choice, getting an FTP client to work to literally drag and replace files at-will, though the connection problems will need to be resolved first.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Fastest/Best Way to Keep VDS Files Synced to My Desktop

Post by kraze »

You could always do a more complicated setup, but personally I'd just go the FTP route. FileZilla is extremely easy to setup server side and we even have a guide on how to do it.
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =46&t=8540
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Filezilla if you don't mind working in the filezilla interface is probably the best way.

Dropbox provides the functionality you're looking for(I think, only used it once), if you update a file on your desktop, it will be uploaded to your dropbox account, and synced to any other computers logged into your account.

In your scenario, you could sync your entire dedicated server to dropbox, and make the folder available locally. Then you can do whatever you want on your desktop, and it will be automatically uploaded to the server(not instantly, of course, depends on file size/upload speeds/etc).

I would personally go for FTP, but I don't mind working in the filezilla interface. I have seen customers here run dropbox on their servers though.
Not a NFO employee
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

http://ftpbox.org/

http://www.ftpsynchronizer.com/

I personally use ftp synchronizer on my vds to keep it synced with my Homefront game server. It keeps the demos available for public download that I cant do for the stand alone game server.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

This would be great and all, but I'd strongly prefer an official application, such as what most of you have suggested. I've always used FileZilla in the past, but I can't find any tutorials online on how to set it up on the server side, so I'm resorting right now to FTPbox and FTPsync, as they look interesting. But still, I can't use anything until I know why the VDS is 'actively refusing my connection'.

I can't find where the firewall rules are to see if it's being blocked that way, but at least Windows Firewall is off apparently.
Last edited by QOOOOOOOOQ on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

QOOOOOOOOQ wrote:This would be great and all, but I'd strongly prefer an official application, such as what most of you have suggested. I've always used FileZilla in the past, but I can't find any tutorials online on how to set it up on the server side, so I'm resorting right now to FTPbox and FTPsync, as they look interesting. But still, I can't use anything until I know why the VDS is 'actively refusing my connection'.
The link I posted in my reply is a guide.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

kraze wrote:The link I posted in my reply is a guide.
Alright I'll try it.
QOOOOOOOOQ
A regular
A regular

Post by QOOOOOOOOQ »

It appears it's not a program to setup FileZilla, it's really a program to setup FTP connections, that any program is able to use, thanks.
dukenukemz
A regular
A regular

Post by dukenukemz »

you could setup an owncloud server to sync files between your VDS and your computer. its basically a build your own google drive / skydrive or whatever you use for cloud storage.