Quake 3 Server Lags

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
dustin_
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Quake 3 Server Lags

Post by dustin_ »

Hello all. I was using a VDS through NFO to give it a shot with performance and response times. All runs well for a while, but after a couple hours, empty server or full, the Quake 3 server just starts lagging. Netgraph/Lag-o-meter shows spikes and yellow chunks on it and people start skipping around. Are NFO servers not able to do time critical FPS games efficiently? It works at first and then something just seems to want to kill the quake server process.

It's running on CentOS 6.5. Any ideas? I'm on the trial and running out of time. Shooting to figure out if this is a working solution for me.

Thanks!
Dustin
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Quake 3 Server Lags

Post by kraze »

What does CPU/ram usage look like? Are you running a modified server? If so, have you tried doing a fresh install?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
dustin_
New to forums
New to forums

Post by dustin_ »

Code: Select all

USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+    COMMAND
q3          20   0  178m  31m 9484 S   2.7      1.7   0:59.09   ioq3ded.x86_64
That is the usage of it. It is running ioq3ded x64. But it doesn't seem to do it on any other server running the same binary. It is a fresh install, as of yesterdays server setup, I just popped in a couple maps and config. I can't figure it out. Did the same thing on a standard q3ded binary straight from id Software client, though I may give that another go. It almost seems like something is killing the server processes performance, though the resource usage is minimal.

Any tips or tricks appreciated. Thanks! :D
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Reading around, apparently this is a common issue with Quake 3 servers. I imagine if you reboot the server the lag instantly subsides?
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
crs4380
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by crs4380 »

You are experiencing lag because you are using the 64-bit ioquake3 binary. 64-bit is unstable. Use the 32-bit binary for your server.