Help picking the right package!

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
FattyBoi
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Help picking the right package!

Post by FattyBoi »

Hello!

I'm hosting a v83 Maplestory server, I'm wondering if I should get a dedi or a vps..

Also, I found a good VPS package which includes:

Four full, dedicated HT CPU cores (Nehalem or better)
4096 MB of RAM
400 GB of RAID-protected storage
8000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer

Lets say I have 30-50 players online 24/7, will this package be enough?
How many players can this package handle with no or minimum lag?
Is this enough bandwidth? If not how many do I need per month?

Thanks in advance!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Help picking the right package!

Post by soja »

This seems like a server type that very few people would have experience with here. The resource requirements would be something only people who have used the software before would know. If you are currently running the server monitor resource usage.

The 4-core VDS here would be roughly equal to a core i3 based machine(dual core with HT)for CPU. The bandwidth offered with VDS's here now is very high, I wouldn't worry about bandwidth on a VDS if you are running game servers.

If it turns out the 4-core package isn't enough, upgrading is very simple, usually only requiring a few minutes of downtime for a reboot if the host machine has enough resources to accommodate the upgrade.
Not a NFO employee
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Help picking the right package!

Post by FAST »

Hey,

You could also put in a support ticket to have you on their best VDS specs available (e3 1270 v1 to v3) for example.