New dedicated offering

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

New dedicated offering

Post by FAST »

Thanks for latest offer :) Already making the switch
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: New dedicated offering

Post by TacTicToe »

Which did you decide to go with? I went with the E3-1271v3 and OMG it is unreal. When they talk about the VDS overhead not affecting performance that much, sorry to say, that is a load of bunk. I had several servers, still do, on the VDS. Though they ran well, you would still get the occasional lagginess. Not horrible, but it was noticeable. Some of my servers would empty and fill throughout the day. NOW they stay full and people wont go away. I had to start implementing reserved slots on some of my servers, so I could get on and play.

Currently have about 15 servers loaded and running. Have 5 Big Brother bot instances, Paronicon for Black Ops (to admin the 2 BO servers I have to rent from that which shall remain nameless) and Procon. I mean there is just alot going on here. And here is a screenshot of the load as of this post with all that running. Oh, and this includes a 22 slot Natural Selection 2 server.

Just for the hell of it, I have decided to install a CSGO server that I plan to try to run at 128 ticks just for the heck of it. I just want to see if I can at least get the CPU usage to break past 10% consistently. It is just unbelievable the performance boost this beast has. I am extremely pleased with it.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

It's good to hear your new machine is working out ;)

Though, we do keep our VDS overhead very low(lower than you'll find anywhere else) and this is done in combination with a few things, but mainly due to the extremely fast CPU's we run and the server side tweaks we implement.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I can make the 1271v3 sweat a little :D

Running high slot srcds instances really eats up a ton of CPU!
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Those E3-1271v3s do scream. Intel has not been pursuing single-threaded performance with their 2P offerings, so they're stuck at lower clock speeds, which compounds with the fact that they're usually a generation behind to slow them down.

I'm going to be testing different Xen performance options in the near future to see if different settings may help. New releases have changed some default settings and added a couple of knobs that I have tested briefly but not in extreme depth.

Intel has also come out with Haswell-based dual-CPU setups now (finally). They seem to similarly be clocked low but may still be faster than the previous generation, so I'll be testing them further as well.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

kraze wrote:Though, we do keep our VDS overhead very low(lower than you'll find anywhere else) and this is done in combination with a few things, but mainly due to the extremely fast CPU's we run and the server side tweaks we implement.
No doubt. Comparing NFO to other GSP's I agree, you guys rock. Comparing the VDS overhead and performance of an NFO VDS vs the NFO E3-1271v3s, doesnt even hold a candle to it. I thought for SURE once I installed the NS2 server that would make it react. It laughed at me! Not even a hiccup. You have done the testing of NS2 here, you KNOW what a demanding resource hog those NS2 servers are. Even at 16 slots my VDS would choke.

I knew this server made a difference now that a couple of my servers are even more popular. First time I have actually had to implement reserved slots.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

Hey

yeah, I've decided to go with the same e3-1271 v3. I thought about E5 1660 core option but that is only available in dallas ATM. Having said that, I do believe 1271 v3 overall is a better choice compared to e5-1660. I dont think most games thrive very well with multi-threading just yet (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). They are both still great choices.

I don't expect this to significantly improve performance wise compared to our current e3-1270 v3 boxes but it should definitely help out keeping it under 50% We are currently over a little during map changes or intense maps.

It's good to see this provider is always keeping things fresh and bringing out new products available to them.