Two crashes (BSOD) in the past week - has to do with securit

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
daniel_tin
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Two crashes (BSOD) in the past week - has to do with securit

Post by daniel_tin »

Hi Everyone,

I have had two crashes with my Windows 2008 R2 server since the restart after the (NFO) security update a week ago. I have not changed anything and was running the same software on them for the past couple of months without this issue.
I have attached the minidump files as well as their analysis in the link. There is also a screenshot of the error from Windows. The image relates to the dump 100714-41667-01 and "DallasCrashAnalysis.htm".

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/go0c0w3hqpbl ... Eunoa?dl=0

Thanks everyone
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Two crashes (BSOD) in the past week - has to do with sec

Post by Edge100x »

Minidumps are generally not very helpful, unfortunately.

Were we able to shut down your server gracefully, or did it have to be forced offline? If the latter, there's the possibility of disk corruption.

I would recommend trying the latest GPLPV drivers as a first step. Which OS is this?
daniel_tin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by daniel_tin »

Thank you for the reply. The OS is Windows 2008 R2. I did run chkdsk on both machines which returned with no errors. Regarding the two crashes: If I understand correctly what you mean - the GPLPV (network adapter) driver shows on the Dallas machine (crashed today) to be 1.0.1089.0 from 12/24/2013. On the Frankfurt machine (crashed yesterday) it shows 0.11.0.372 from 10/22/2012. Just to mention, I didn't have this issue for a good couple of months prior to this.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

With Windows 2008 R2, this is the newer version that's worth trying:

http://www.ejbdigital.com.au/wp-content ... 0.1105.msi

If that doesn't help, we could try moving you to a different machine or adjusting the Xen version. We've been using this major Xen version for quite some time without many complaints, and it's the latest update of the major version, but we could potentially try a different major one.
daniel_tin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by daniel_tin »

Thank you for the link. What is this file exactly? Would I need to install it myself or with you?
I appreciate the offer to change Xen version/machines and I'll consider it down the line. Since the servers were stable the past couple of months, I'm going to think of these crashes as a fluke and if it happens again will come back to these options. Just as a thought, could it be that the crashes are a build up of connections or so? I did have increased traffic lately (with 200+ concurrent connections/players per server quite often) , although the crashes didn't happen at peak times. Just a thought.Thanks again.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I don't think only a few hundred connections would cause the OS to choke. NFO runs 20c/40t machines here for game servers and I am sure they reach many more connections. Personally, my dedis running 2008R2 get 200+ players daily and I have never had issues.
Not a NFO employee
daniel_tin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by daniel_tin »

I generally wouldn't think so either, was just a thought. Although you did mention you have dedicated servers, mine are VPSs, so there is that difference
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Yes but they are both running 2008R2 :)

I have a managed 2008R2 VDS as well, but that only reaches 175 players peak.
Not a NFO employee
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Bubka3 »

Hmm, this is interesting. I'm in the same exact boat. I had 2 BSODs as well and support sent me to the forums. No software changes over the past few weeks. They only started happening after the security reboot.
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Bubka3 »

Forgot to mention I'm in NYC. He's in Dallas and Frankfurt. Just noticed that his were in 2 different machines.

I'm also going to have support move my VDS to see if that changes anything.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Have either of you tried the updated Xen GPLPV drivers yet?

The update that we made applied a version that was very close to what we were already using on all of our new machines and have been using for some time. My thought is that if you have an old Windows install with an old version of GPLPV, there might be an incompatibility that new customers would not notice because they would all run an updated one.
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Bubka3 »

I installed the driver you linked above, is that enough to properly update?

This is what I have:
http://i.imgur.com/zsXcbuZ.png
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, that should have done it.

If the driver's installed already and that doesn't help, we'd have to try a different version of Xen to see if that will make a difference. Please ask that the support request be escalated to me so that I can schedule a maintenance for that on your specific machine.