How the heck does NFO Servers do it?!

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
derikgw
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How the heck does NFO Servers do it?!

Post by derikgw »

I have been shopping around for VDS/VPS services. Not because I want to leave NFO, but because I can't understand now NFO can offer VDS/VPS services for a fraction of the price that all other companies offer it! How do you do it? When I compared my plan (quad core XEON 3.0 GHz processor, 10 GB RAM, 400 GB storage, and 8000 GB bandwidth per month) others are charging hundreds per month. In fact, I still can't find a VPS service that even offers that amount of resources for under $250 per month.

It's just darn amazing! I had 2 intances of "Life is Feudal" and 2 instances of "7 Days to Die" all at the max number of players (64, 64, 32, and 32 respectively), and an instance of mumble voice chat server, and they all ran like a dream. The 2 instances of "Life is Feudal" were full at one time but I have only had a few on 7dtd. Still, there was no indication that this server would fail. It's amazing really! Again, how the heck is it so cheap!? I think my monthly invoice is around $75 per month or so (I can't remember exactly because I was upgrading incrementally), which is amazing!

Now I am looking for fun games to host. Hopefully survival style games. "Life is Feudal" is just a maintenance nightmare currently (super early alpha and running a bad game engine, Torque3D), so any ideas on a game server are welcome.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: How the heck does NFO Servers do it?!

Post by TacTicToe »

Contagion and No More Room in Hell are a couple of good ones.

I agree with the pricing and NFO. I went from the VDS to a full machine, because with what you get and for the price, you just cant beat it. Just put a 7D2D server up last night. Have it at 40 slots to see how it does. Crazy game. I think it should be called All You Do is Die. But that's just me.
derikgw
New to forums
New to forums

Post by derikgw »

In 7dtd I find a nice spire or high plateau with at least 3 blocks worth of exposed rock above ground and all the way around, next to a nice lake, dig an entrance under the lake, then go into the plateau and dig up so the water doesn't get in. Then put a couple of doors, and BAM! You have the beginnings of a nice plateau fortress. Dig all the way to bedrock to store your valuables, and put gardens on top of the plateau as long as players can't see it from afar, or up close.
derikgw
New to forums
New to forums

Post by derikgw »

TacTicToe wrote:Contagion and No More Room in Hell are a couple of good ones.

I agree with the pricing and NFO. I went from the VDS to a full machine, because with what you get and for the price, you just cant beat it. Just put a 7D2D server up last night. Have it at 40 slots to see how it does. Crazy game. I think it should be called All You Do is Die. But that's just me.
Contagion? No more room in hell? You call those good games? Wow. You are so out of the loop.
derikgw
New to forums
New to forums

Post by derikgw »

I guess I should explain. No more room in hell won't even run on modern systems. I have a pretty vanilla system and it won't run. Contagion just flat out sucks. It is one of the worst games; it has no depth. I guess if you are one of those who enjoy just sitting around and shooting at things because there is no thought or strategy involved, I suppose that would be a good choice? Wow.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Well I personally have had a lot of fun on both games, and NMRiH runs just fine on my system. They are closer I guess to a L4D type of game, not so open world.

DayZ of course. And you might want to keep your eye on Miscreated. That game is made on the CryEngine. It has potential.

http://miscreatedgame.com/
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Bubka3 »

NMRiH community manager here,
derikgw wrote:No more room in hell won't even run on modern systems. I have a pretty vanilla system and it won't run.
Our game requires a decent computer to run properly. When you have 80-200 NPC zombies with lag compensation running, it will require a good amount of system resources. However, with a daily peak of almost 1,500 players I can safely assume that it runs properly on modern systems. Just because it doesn't run on your system, doesn't mean it's a bad game. Have you sought out help for your issue?