Transfer IP's to Different VDS?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
sniperfodder
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Transfer IP's to Different VDS?

Post by sniperfodder »

Howdy,

Currently renting a VDS with 3 IP's. It's currently running windows 2k3 and I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows Server 2012. To do this I was originally going to just back up the data and re-image the drive.

However, I got the bright idea that I could rent a new VDS with roughly the same specs, and configure it to my liking. Then transfer the IP Addresses to that VDS once it is ready for production use. However.... I'm not sure if that is possible? I don't think it is but I'd just like to confirm.
[ILSN]SniperFodder
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Transfer IP's to Different VDS?

Post by kraze »

What you want to do is possible. You would just need to contact us and let us know ahead of time so we could work with you to change some flags in a database. As for upgrading, is there a reason you are going with 2012? We recommend customers stick with 2008R2 for performance and stability reasons.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
sniperfodder
New to forums
New to forums

Post by sniperfodder »

Oh, that's good to hear. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

As for why I'm upgrading to 2012... It's mostly to do with the environment I'm working with. I have other 2k8 Servers, but I'm working to move to a fully 2012 Environment. For what I'm going to do with the server, it really needs to be 2012. I honestly don't run a lot of game servers on my Host, so I'm not too worried on the Stability front. I mostly run a Web/Mail/FTP server; stuff that needs static IP's and I can't host at home because I have a dynamic IP.

If 2012 becomes a problem, I'll downgrade it to a 2k8 server.

As an Aside, when I upgraded the current VDS to a 3 Core from a 2 Core, My Bandwidth available got doubled. I went from 6000GB to 12000GB. I'm not exactly sure if that's normal? It's like it took my current 6000GB Limit I had with the 2 core, and added the 6000GB you get from the package onto it. For me that's an insaaaaane amount of bandwidth, considering the most I've ever used bandwidth wise is about 55GB in a month :wink:

Though I suppose if I were running something like an NaturalSelection 2 Server that had players all day, all month long, that would chew through the bandwidth pretty quickly.
[ILSN]SniperFodder
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

As an Aside, when I upgraded the current VDS to a 3 Core from a 2 Core, My Bandwidth available got doubled. I went from 6000GB to 12000GB. I'm not exactly sure if that's normal? It's like it took my current 6000GB Limit I had with the 2 core, and added the 6000GB you get from the package onto it. For me that's an insaaaaane amount of bandwidth, considering the most I've ever used bandwidth wise is about 55GB in a month :wink:

Though I suppose if I were running something like an NaturalSelection 2 Server that had players all day, all month long, that would chew through the bandwidth pretty quickly.
Yes, that's normal :D Our commitments leave us quite a bit of bandwidth and unfortunately, we pay for it whether it's used or not.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!