Server Jumps

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
bhop_alex
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server Jumps

Post by bhop_alex »

I am renting a Dual Core Virtual server, and the only process I am running on it is the server.exe for a flash game, and in game it runs great, except there's a very noticeable jumpiness to NPC and other players' movements. Hit registration is great, leading me to believe that it must be the processing power of the server itself that is throttling the performance, so I was wondering if there was a way to put the server processes in a "High-Priority" mode, like I can in the task manager of my home computer. Also, it is running Windows Server 2012 R2 at the moment, would it be beneficial to change it to Windows Server 2008 R2, or even Windows Server 2003 x64? And if I did would everything on the hard drive be wiped aside form the OS? Thanks!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Server Jumps

Post by soja »

With windows server you should be able to set the process priority in task manager, just like on a home windows pc. However this usually only helps if you have processes fighting for CPU and you want one to have more than the other.

Changing OS's on an unmanaged VDS will result in a wipe of the virtual disk for your VDS.

Do you notice the game process using a lot of CPU in task manager on your VDS? Is the game still rendering video? If so, can you disable that?
Not a NFO employee
bhop_alex
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bhop_alex »

soja wrote:With windows server you should be able to set the process priority in task manager, just like on a home windows pc. However this usually only helps if you have processes fighting for CPU and you want one to have more than the other.

Changing OS's on an unmanaged VDS will result in a wipe of the virtual disk for your VDS.

Do you notice the game process using a lot of CPU in task manager on your VDS? Is the game still rendering video? If so, can you disable that?
It does not run video, and it was just using about 45-50% of the 2gb of ram, and hardly any cpu.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Then it doesn't seem like a resource issue. There have been some disruptions of service and/or packet loss in a few locations the past few days. Is there anything in your events log that lines up with when you are experiencing hiccups in game? The problems are fixed pretty fast, but still sometimes have a noticeable impact in-game.
Not a NFO employee
bhop_alex
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bhop_alex »

soja wrote:Then it doesn't seem like a resource issue. There have been some disruptions of service and/or packet loss in a few locations the past few days. Is there anything in your events log that lines up with when you are experiencing hiccups in game? The problems are fixed pretty fast, but still sometimes have a noticeable impact in-game.
Nope, only things in my events log are my changes, like the upgrade and server move.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Setting the priority could make a difference, but only if you're running other things on the VDS that are fighting for CPU at the same time. If this is the only thing that you're running, then it won't help.

It's difficult to say what might be going on with a flash game. You might try different versions of flash or different OSes, as you mentioned (possibly even Linux). There may also be settings somewhere you can change to alter its behavior.
bhop_alex
New to forums
New to forums

Post by bhop_alex »

Edge100x wrote:Setting the priority could make a difference, but only if you're running other things on the VDS that are fighting for CPU at the same time. If this is the only thing that you're running, then it won't help.

It's difficult to say what might be going on with a flash game. You might try different versions of flash or different OSes, as you mentioned (possibly even Linux). There may also be settings somewhere you can change to alter its behavior.
I was going to use linux, but I don't think there is a linux version of the server available. I have seen threads with people struggling to even get it to launch on linux.