Dedicated Servers/Battlefield 4

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
DJShocker
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Dedicated Servers/Battlefield 4

Post by DJShocker »

Is there anyone running Battlefield 4 on NFO dedicated servers?
If so, how many servers are you running with NO problems? how many slots? I'm considering upgrading to Dedicated cause running 1 battlefield 4 server with 42 slots, all full, causes rubberbanding with some of my players.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Dedicated Servers/Battlefield 4

Post by soja »

In my observations a battlefield server(3 and 4 have similar resource usage) will use about 60% at peak of a core on the E3-1270v3.

Here are the graphs for my 64 slot BF3 rush server:
Remember this is process usage, not overall machine usage.

If you are running Battlefield only servers, you should be able to get away with roughly 400-500 players connected. I run many different server types on my machines, so I can't give any better than an educated guess.
Not a NFO employee
DJShocker
New to forums
New to forums

Post by DJShocker »

That helps!
Thanks!
So you think I can squeeze 2 BF4 servers on a Dedicated with no rubber banding/lag?
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

DJShocker wrote:That helps!
Thanks!
So you think I can squeeze 2 BF4 servers on a Dedicated with no rubber banding/lag?
Any lag/rubber banding would be the result of poor programming on DICE's end. You would have more than enough power for 2 servers.
Not a NFO employee
DJShocker
New to forums
New to forums

Post by DJShocker »

Yeah the biggest thing that irritates me is the game itself supports multithreading by default, however, the server does NOT. Strange :-\
Also, OFFICIAL servers, admins cannot ban/kick the idiots that wanna insult others for killing them or not doing what THEY believe they should be doing.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I am well aware of the shortcomings with Battlefield 4 :)

Battlefield/Frostbite is actually pretty lightweight compared to some things, like source engine servers.

Here is a 64 slot CS:GO server running on a slightly faster CPU compared to our BF3 servers:
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

DJShocker, we've seen multiple customers running six 70-slot BF4 servers on their dedicated machines without seeing resource-related lag or rubber-banding. We can't guarantee that for you because performance is influenced by so many factors -- the map run, settings, 3rd party plugins, PB, and so on, but the minimum you could expect with full performance would be one top-end server per physical core (which would be four servers on an E3).