BF4 Game Server Vs Virtual Machine

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Gliger
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BF4 Game Server Vs Virtual Machine

Post by Gliger »

Hi, I have been looking into starting a 70 slot BF4 server and i saw a couple of options and was wondering what the difference in performance would be. A 70 slot "game server" with high cpu priority would cost around $92 while a VDS with 6 dedicated cores, 6 gigs of ram, exc. would cost $102. The difference in cost is negligible so I'm simply wondering for a single 70 slot bf4 server, which option will offer the best performance and help prevent the possibility of lag? Will the VDS have more headspace when there's a moment of high server traffic?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: BF4 Game Server Vs Virtual Machine

Post by kraze »

I would not recommend a VDS for higher slot BF4 servers. They simply require too much power that even the fastest machines cannot deliver under a virtual environment.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: BF4 Game Server Vs Virtual Machine

Post by Edge100x »

We do not support BF4 servers larger than 48 slots on VDSes for performance reasons -- the game just does not do well when virtualized and cannot support more than that without FPS drops, which cause in-game skipping. You would need to run a large BF4 server on a full machine or as a standalone offering.

For smaller BF4 servers that can be hosted on a VDS, note that there is also a per-slot fee: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =51&t=5705. The number of supported slots can be selected during the ordering process.