BF4, HL Source Managed VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Ruger
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

BF4, HL Source Managed VDS

Post by Ruger »

Hey all,

I have been with NFO for a bit and I have a few questions for those that have experience running VDS' with NFO.

Currently I have a 24 man TDM BF4 gameserver with NFO. I was wondering if I were to get a managed 4 core vds server that they have to offer, would I be able to transfer that server (<--Already know thats possible)(either keeping it same 24 man or bumping it up to 32) and be able to run a Day of Defeat Source 32 man server as well as maybe a 32 man TF2 server on it?

If so, how many of the 32 man half life 2 based server would be possible to run on that server along with the BF4 server? i.e. Gmod etc.

Lets say I would be able to run the BF4 TDM server with DoDS and TF2, Would I be able to have access to the DoDS and TF2 servers enough for the sourcemod or whatever plugin configurations and uploads?

Also, beside from all that I have posted above, I do have a 2 core Windows 2008R2 unmanaged vds with NFO and I am currently running a teamspeak server, 2 procon layers...soon to be one, as well as MySql, php, phpmyadmin, FireDaemon and Fusion. What are your thoughts on if I put a 32 man DoDS OR TF2 server on that VDS? What problems would I encounter?

Thanks, Ruger
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: BF4, HL Source Managed VDS

Post by soja »

A 4-core VDS would comfortably run a 32 player Battlefield server, and 2 32 player source servers, while they are all full. I wouldn't run any additional servers if you expect all 3 servers to fill at once.

Your FTP access allows you to do nearly anything, uploading sourcemod, metamod, and addons is done easily.

I personally wouldn't put a game server on a VDS with procon/sql, due to the "spikey" CPU usage both of these programs have.

As for gmod, it is pretty unpredictable with CPU usage, depending on your game mode. If you run a build server you can see 100% of a core used with 2 people on, if you run a TTT server you can expect ~100% of a core with 30 people on.
Not a NFO employee
Ruger
A regular
A regular

Post by Ruger »

Thanks Soja! Thats what I needed.
oldschool
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by oldschool »

Hey Ruger,

I was wondering, have you run into any problems with TeamSpeak and 2 procon layers running simultaneously on your vds? No problems with load? I'm running 2012 R2 with a similar setup, the OS is constantly crashing after windows updates and server manager dashboard is horrendous. annoying to say the least...

I like your server by the way! On my favorite list.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

oldschool, The OP is running a managed VDS, meaning Procon and TS cannot be run on the same VDS.

I have seen very unpredictable CPU usage from my Procon layers, so I run them on a different machine to keep good performance.

A single Teamspeak server will use little resources(maybe 100MB ram, and a few percent CPU).
Not a NFO employee
Ruger
A regular
A regular

Post by Ruger »

Ruger wrote: I do have a 2 core Windows 2008R2 unmanaged vds with NFO and I am currently running a teamspeak server, 2 procon layers...soon to be one, as well as MySql, php, phpmyadmin, FireDaemon and Fusion.
oldschool wrote:Hey Ruger,

I was wondering, have you run into any problems with TeamSpeak and 2 procon layers running simultaneously on your vds? No problems with load? I'm running 2012 R2 with a similar setup, the OS is constantly crashing after windows updates and server manager dashboard is horrendous. annoying to say the least...

I have not see any performance issues or other problems at all with the above even while running 6 procon layers. You probably should change your OS to Windows server 2008 r2.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Ruger wrote:
Ruger wrote: I do have a 2 core Windows 2008R2 unmanaged vds with NFO and I am currently running a teamspeak server, 2 procon layers...soon to be one, as well as MySql, php, phpmyadmin, FireDaemon and Fusion.
oldschool wrote:Hey Ruger,

I have not see any performance issues or other problems at all with the above even while running 6 procon layers. You probably should change your OS to Windows server 2008 r2.
My mistake, I didn't re-read the OP fully, sorry!
Not a NFO employee
Ruger
A regular
A regular

Post by Ruger »

No problem Soja. Just didn't want Oldschool getting confused. I know I do at my old age. Lol
oldschool
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by oldschool »

No apology necessary Soja, I know your just trying to help, thanks brother. And thanks for the advice Ruger I'm gonna give it a wipe soon when I get fed up enuff and try 2008.