website on vds, General inquiry

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
TroyMLP
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

website on vds, General inquiry

Post by TroyMLP »

I currently an attempting to set up a website via my vds to go along with my game server hosted there, which is just a phpbb3 forum. Currently If I type in the ip to the vds it defaults(redirects) to the xampp directory instead of the phpbb directory or "forum" how do I redirect properly from 162.248.89.116 to 162.248.89.116/forum/ ?

Aside from that..namservers do vds have them already(did not see in cp) or is that something I have to set up on the vds or is it not necessary. Unsure of godaddy will take an ip. Sorry as I'm not good with websites. I was able to hunt through guides with free hosting before and get things functional I am just now using vds as my current game server is not something nfo hosts yet.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: website on vds, General inquiry

Post by Edge100x »

You should really not be using XAMPP in a production environment. It is insecure by default and you can expect to be compromised unless you lock it down. Since XAMPP targets inexperienced developers/admins, it makes sense that we rarely see it locked down properly.

When it comes to the site, I'd recommend just installing your forum to the root instead of messing around with a redirect to /forum. If you really want it to redirect, you could use an .htaccess file for this.

For the DNS entry, GoDaddy allows you to use its name servers as part of the package, I believe. If so, you can use that to create an "A" record to point your root (@) and www subdomains to your IP address.
TroyMLP
New to forums
New to forums

Post by TroyMLP »

So do you have any insight on how to do this differently to get phpbb other than saying what i'm doing will compromise security? Either that or how to ensure security?
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

You can try Lamp, if your applications are compatible with Linux. Lamp is much more secure, as compared to Xamp.
technut74
New to forums
New to forums

Post by technut74 »

I use plesk for $5 a month...does everything need to get website up and running