Files not copying from VDS to my personal desktop (via Remot

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
mennes
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Files not copying from VDS to my personal desktop (via Remot

Post by mennes »

Hello, i am switching from an unmanaged vds to a managed and i need to copy my server files so people dont lose all their hardwork!

I used 7zip on the vds to compress the server folders into .zip, but then some of the .zip folders wont copy to my desktop? Then i tried compressing it to .7z and still having issues :C

I also just tried copying the whole server folder without compressing it first, about 3/4 into copying to my desktop it had an error and closed it!

Does anyone have a good method to do this? These are huge server folders and i dont want to copy individual folders within each game server, risking the chance of corrupting the server later.
Feel free to contact me on discordd @ Mennes34
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Files not copying from VDS to my personal desktop (via R

Post by soja »

Use a FTP server.

If you can't figure it out then use a private file hosting website like dropbox or mega(but you should really use FTP).
Not a NFO employee
mennes
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mennes »

Ya i thought about dropbox, but i just looked into it and they only have a 2gb limit.

I think i am just going to try to get the core files that store data, lets hope this works lol

i dont know how to set up ftp stuff, not really sure where i would start XD

Thanks for the quick reply mate
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I can set you up a FTP server in 2 minutes, if you want to add me on steam I can help you out.
Not a NFO employee
mennes
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mennes »

wow thanks man, let me try something else real quick so you dont have to waste your time if you dont have to.

EDIT: nvm you have your steam in your sig, just noticed
Krimson
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Krimson »

Another option is to use RDP and allow access to your desktop drive. From there you just click the drive just like you would any other folder and drag and drop any files you want to send back to your system. FTP is usually the route that most people go but I find that one to be quicker when you just want to transfer something real quick without setting up FTP on a server.