What VDS package should I get...

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
technut74
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

What VDS package should I get...

Post by technut74 »

I will be using windows 2008 r2. I will be running a website with Plesk installed for website management and also a redirect server for my 6 Killing floor 2 servers. What VDS package would be good for this, I dont want to pay for more than I need?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: What VDS package should I get...

Post by Edge100x »

If you aren't running KF2 servers directly -- just webhosting -- then I'd start with a dual-core and upgrade it if needed. Websites usually don't use much CPU, and redirect sites in particular are light on CPU and memory consumption.
technut74
New to forums
New to forums

Post by technut74 »

I'm not running any game servers on this, I have all my game servers on another server. For right now, this server will only be running basic web hosting features using Plesk(website, email, database, wordpress or phpBB). Also will be used for a redirect for my 6 KF2 servers which is installed on another machine.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

If you plan on Windows, you should probably get the 3-core, or a 2-core with an extra GB of ram. Windows takes up half a GB on its own, with a database server, and a php based website you would want a little more than 2GB.
Not a NFO employee
technut74
New to forums
New to forums

Post by technut74 »

yes, definitely windows 2008 r2
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

If you plan to host any game servers in the future on the same machine, I would recommend getting some SSD space and using that for the mysql database if you use one. Otherwise you can see a bit of a performance degradation from all the read/writes to the mysql. We have all our Big Brother Bot databases for our servers running off the SSD drive.