E3-1270v3 vs E3-1271v3

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Krimson
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

E3-1270v3 vs E3-1271v3

Post by Krimson »

I was wondering what the difference is between these two servers. I see that the E3-1271v3 has .1 ghz more processor speed and I am not entirely sure that this is worth the extra $10. I guess the main question is I notice at a certain point the servers stop going up in the amount of recommended players. The E3-1270v2($180 a month) has the same amount of recommended players as the E3-1271v3($210 a month). Why get the better machine if the amount of players stays the same besides obviously that the E3-1270v2 isn't offered at the location I am looking into =[.

Also, because I plan on this server being very long term, I was wondering if there are things we can do to take the cost down... Such as paying the entire cost of the server up front and then just paying the internap/customer support cost.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: E3-1270v3 vs E3-1271v3

Post by soja »

The only difference between then 1270v3 and 1271v3 is the frequency.

The recommended players should be taken very lightly. It is highly dependent on what kind of game servers you run. On some of my managed machines I can only get 150 players using source engine games with large player counts(like the ones in my sig). If I run purely battlefield servers I can get more like 300+ before running into CPU usage concerns.

The 1271v3 is a decent amount faster per core than the v2, and it should be considered if you run servers that max out a single core.
Not a NFO employee
Krimson
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Krimson »

Hm... guess I will need to put way more thought into this. Seems like you are not really getting your moneys worth on a dedicated server then if you can only do around 150 on source based games.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Krimson wrote:Hm... guess I will need to put way more thought into this. Seems like you are not really getting your moneys worth on a dedicated server then if you can only do around 150 on source based games.
Depends on what you consider your moneys worth. I use managed dedicated servers because I like to have full control over what hardware I am put on, and how much load my machines get. For large source servers you are looking at 1.5 cores used for a full server. To make sure I have the best performance possible I run these servers on the 1271v3.

Having a dedi also allows me to deploy test or development servers quickly, and with no extra cost. If I decide to deploy a new server and I am unsure if it will take off, I can open it up, if it picks up I can manage my resource usage, maybe move it to a new machine, if not at least it didn't cost me anything.

Here is a screenshot of my E3-1270v3 Linux Managed dedicated server CPU usage, so you can get an idea of what it can handle.
This machine has only source engine servers, including some of the #1 servers for the game.
Not a NFO employee