Changing time on VDS has no effect

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Jake
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Changing time on VDS has no effect

Post by Jake »

I recently attempted to have my VDS changed to UTC time, by deselecting the box that reads "Use a local system clock instead of UTC" and I had a staff member restart my VDS so that it could be implemented according to the help box displayed beside this option. It didn't change the time, it remained in central time instead of changing to UTC. I was asked to post here to see if someone could shed some light on the situation, I'd like my clock on my linux managed VDS changed to UTC.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Changing time on VDS has no effect

Post by Edge100x »

We synchronize the clocks on managed servers on our end and they are always local time to the server. This is needed for our internal systems and we do not support changing it.
Jake
A regular
A regular

Re: Changing time on VDS has no effect

Post by Jake »

I might suggest a rewording or possibly removing the option for customers on managed machines then, especially if the High Performance Event Timer cannot be disabled on managed machines as well. The bold note in the advanced section reads "If you change an option here, a VDS restart will be required to implement it. Please contact us so that we can perform that restart for you." So it implies that it would be on a managed system, since on an unmanaged system you could turn the machine on and off at your own will. Thanks for clearing this up, I will try to do a work around by fiddling with time conversion in some logging scripts.