Single Rust Server - VDS or Dedi?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
elninost0rm
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Single Rust Server - VDS or Dedi?

Post by elninost0rm »

Hi folks,

My Rust server has become quite popular on my VDS (80+ people on most nights), and I find that the CPU usage is getting in the 50%+ range causing performance dips (note: I have a 3-core VDS, but I only assign 2 to RustDedicated.exe as a 3rd seems pointless), some mild rubberbanding, etc. The server FPS sometimes gets into the single digits, which can ruin the experience for some.

Would there be any benefit to going to a full dedi? Has anyone done this yet and can provide a testimonial?

Thanks.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Single Rust Server - VDS or Dedi?

Post by kraze »

A dedicated server would definitely help since you'd be on bare metal and have the fastest per core performance, but if you're only running a single Rust on server it and paying out of pocket for it, it's just not worth it.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
elninost0rm
New to forums
New to forums

Post by elninost0rm »

kraze wrote:A dedicated server would definitely help since you'd be on bare metal and have the fastest per core performance, but if you're only running a single Rust on server it and paying out of pocket for it, it's just not worth it.
Thank you for the honest response.

I'll probably stick with the VDS per now. I do have about $200 in coffer funds, but I'd rather not get stuck in a spot where I can't afford the server anymore.

Oh, do you think switching to Windows Server 2008 would have any positive impact on my server? I've seen several people online say that 2012 is inferior but I don't know how true that is.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

If you're looking to make a switch, I'd recommend going with a server in our standard rental system. This would be extremely similar to a dedicated server(same CPUs and bare metal), but it's obviously a shared environment. Which really isn't a bad thing either since we monitor our machines very closely.

As for the OS. I have heard some people complain about Win2k12/R2 performance, but I have no data to back this up. Generally speaking, Win2k8R2 is a well tested and stable OS that we have ample experience with, so I'd always recommend it over 2012.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
elninost0rm
New to forums
New to forums

Post by elninost0rm »

kraze wrote:If you're looking to make a switch, I'd recommend going with a server in our standard rental system. This would be extremely similar to a dedicated server(same CPUs and bare metal), but it's obviously a shared environment. Which really isn't a bad thing either since we monitor our machines very closely.

As for the OS. I have heard some people complain about Win2k12/R2 performance, but I have no data to back this up. Generally speaking, Win2k8R2 is a well tested and stable OS that we have ample experience with, so I'd always recommend it over 2012.
Fair enough. Thanks.

I actually purchased a regular gameserver, but I don't like how I don't have control over a lot of things. No .BAT files, no custom command lines, etc. It's nothing against the service as I knew that when I tested it out, but I wish I had comparable levels of customization. I know that's not possible, though.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

You might want to consider adding SSD space to your VDS and running the server from that. Would probably give you a slight performance boost.
elninost0rm
New to forums
New to forums

Post by elninost0rm »

Not a bad idea. I added 10 GB of SSD space. Might not have any affect on any eventual CPU usage issues, but at least it'll lower the reboot times, etc. Might help overall. We'll see. Too cheap to not do it.
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by barhund »

It should also help with the data access times for the server files with lots of players in world and may help with performance of the server.