Ark - Huge latency spike when cheat saveworld

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
jakepbrown
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Ark - Huge latency spike when cheat saveworld

Post by jakepbrown »

Hi all; I am running an Ark server on a full dedi box - running SO EFFING GREAT; 70 people on - latency at like 65 for me and even low (in the 40/50 range) for others. BUT I just have 1 kinda big problem. The server auto saves every 15 minutes (default) and causes a HUGE latency spike / Server Framerate drop. Anyone experienced this and figured out how to explicitly combat it?

I am going to try to save every 5 instead so that it isn't saving as much data; but the filed only come out to 100Mb, so I'm not sure that is the problem. Any suggestions would be welcome :)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Ark - Huge latency spike when cheat saveworld

Post by kraze »

It sounds like there may be a performance issue with the save feature in the game. If that's the case I would not expect reducing the time of saves to have much of an effect, though, you can sure test this by waiting until an auto-save happens and then manually issuing the "cheat saveworld" command. If you see the same or similar performance impacts it's likely just an issue with the game.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

I have our server set to save every 5 mins. Reason I do that is because of things like people taming pets. Our server reboots daily, and if it were at 15 mins and you lose 14 mins of taming time, it kind of sucks. Our server is installed on our SSD drive and I can tell you, I see no performance dips during or as a result of the saves. My suggestion, move the server to your SSD.
jakepbrown
New to forums
New to forums

Post by jakepbrown »

kraze wrote:It sounds like there may be a performance issue with the save feature in the game. If that's the case I would not expect reducing the time of saves to have much of an effect, though, you can sure test this by waiting until an auto-save happens and then manually issuing the "cheat saveworld" command. If you see the same or similar performance impacts it's likely just an issue with the game.
Yeah I get the same in game spike whenever it auto saves or I use cheat saveworld. but when I am watching the perfmon - nothing budges even a little bit. I am going to try and see if changing the auto save time from 15 minutes to 5 and see what happens. The server is indeed on a HDD so maybe getting a SSD installed is the solution.
jakepbrown
New to forums
New to forums

Post by jakepbrown »

TacTicToe wrote:I have our server set to save every 5 mins. Reason I do that is because of things like people taming pets. Our server reboots daily, and if it were at 15 mins and you lose 14 mins of taming time, it kind of sucks. Our server is installed on our SSD drive and I can tell you, I see no performance dips during or as a result of the saves. My suggestion, move the server to your SSD.
Yessir, if changing from 15 to 5 minutes doesn't help (maybe saving less data more frequently?) I'll inquire about getting a SSD installed. This only seems to happen when we hit about 60 players; odd.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Ok, I have started noticing a lag spike when it saves as well. Rebooted my box as well. I changed the save time to 30 mins and that has helped tremendously. Server has been running real smooth since that reboot and going to 30 min saves. SSD is still the way to go with a game like this.