Cannot Access server when proxy is between cloudflare and NFO VPS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
rymax99
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Cannot Access server when proxy is between cloudflare and NFO VPS

Post by rymax99 »

So to be 100% clear, you're not using CloudFlare for its reverse proxy, but rather only for their DNS?

Being straightforward here, I didn't thoroughly read the thread in its entirety enough to completely comprehend the current circumstances(5 AM running on 4 hours of sleep), however I read where you mentioned that when traffic makes it to your nginx back-end, it's doing weird things such as refreshing? If that's the case, I'd check nginx logs and see if there's anything there that could be identifying as to what the issue is.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

laterbreh, I appreciate your second consideration.

If you wish to continue testing the 3rd party scrubber, I recommend starting the testing with just that scrubber (and not CF) and looking at a packet capture to see if the exact packets that your client is sending are being received by your VDS. If one isn't being received, the next step would be for us to run the same test on our end to see if our equipment is receiving it upstream of you. If we're receiving it but you're not receiving it, we'll have to try to find where and why it is being dropped, with further testing. If your VDS is receiving everything, then the investigation should turn to webserver logs.

One possible (though somewhat unlikely) scenario is that the proxy software running on your VDS sends some traffic out directly instead of through the tunnel, and it expects to be able to spoof the scrubbing provider's IP address. In that case, the outbound traffic would be dropped, as we don't allow any outbound traffic that does not match the assigned IP address.
laterbreh
New to forums
New to forums

Post by laterbreh »

rymax99 wrote:So to be 100% clear, you're not using CloudFlare for its reverse proxy, but rather only for their DNS?

Being straightforward here, I didn't thoroughly read the thread in its entirety enough to completely comprehend the current circumstances(5 AM running on 4 hours of sleep), however I read where you mentioned that when traffic makes it to your nginx back-end, it's doing weird things such as refreshing? If that's the case, I'd check nginx logs and see if there's anything there that could be identifying as to what the issue is.
Hi, yes cloudflare is purely my DNS and nothing else. Cloudflare is pointed directly to the proxy's ip address (on another host), proxy is set up to forward HTTP traffic then to the servers main IP address. NGINX then forwards the traffic to the specified port on the NFO machine that my web app is running on.

I did do some tests last night. The proxy is able to ping the server on port 80 no problem, and i was able to capture the packets on NFO's side.

@Edge, yes, after getting some sleep i will try some more options and play around with the traffic. I merely insist on these proxies for obscuring our IP address for security purposes more than their DDOS capabilities. But I will do some tests because I couldnt sleep well thinking why it didnt seem to work here. Ill keep pounding away at it and Ill post updates if I make progress.

Thank you all for your support!