Folder shortcuts on VDS pointing to home computer suddenly stop working after Remote Desktop re-login

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
macro5436
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Folder shortcuts on VDS pointing to home computer suddenly stop working after Remote Desktop re-login

Post by macro5436 »

I just installed a fresh copy of Windows server 2008 R2 on my VDS. I created folder shortcuts on the VDS desktop that point to folders on my computer at home. I was able to use the shortcuts without any problems after logging in for the first time with Remote Desktop, but as soon as I logged out and logged back in for the first time by disconnecting from Remote Desktop, those folder shortcuts stopped working. I double click them, but nothing happens. However, folder shortcuts pointing to local folders on the VDS server work fine though. I have tried to find the cause in the Remote Desktop Connection settings on my computer at home but nothing seems to be the culprit. I even used a Microsoft tool that cleans all remote desktop settings and profiles. Even after this, the shortcuts still aren't working. What could be the issue?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Siren
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Folder shortcuts on VDS pointing to home computer suddenly stop working after Remote Desktop re-login

Post by Siren »

You will want to be sure that you have all of the RDT updates from windows installed and you may need to recreate the shortcuts once you have updated. They will be optional updates so be sure to check there.
<Spray> Please try locking your modem in a closet, or facing it towards the wall in the corner, so it knows its misbehaved