Firewall suggestion

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
a117yogi
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Firewall suggestion

Post by a117yogi »

i noticed earlier today that in the firewall rules you can only specify TCP or UDP one at a time, my suggestion is to have a option to block or accept both in one rule instead of requiring one rule for TCP and one for UDP.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Firewall suggestion

Post by soja »

The way the rules are applied, they can only be set to one protocol at a time as far as I know. The only benefit this would have is allowing you to have a higher total number of rules, but I have no idea what you would be doing that requires over 20 rules.
Not a NFO employee
a117yogi
New to forums
New to forums

Post by a117yogi »

the suggestion for the option of combining them was for simplification, as of right now i have a single port using up 4 rules instead of what could be 2
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

The rules are applied with iptables. Iptables requires rules for each protocol.
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

With standard rules, the nature of netfilter is that the protocol must be specified along with the port.

But, you can do what you are asking for using the bpf filter option, which is extremely powerful. We have some examples for its usage that you can view by hovering your cursor over the field.
a117yogi
New to forums
New to forums

Post by a117yogi »

thanks edge, managed to compress all 4 rules into 1