Why the world only my server hardsk got this problem?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
elementsco
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Why the world only my server hardsk got this problem?

Post by elementsco »

Hello!

RAID-protected storage ? what's this?

So thats all about in your VDS? its all gone? what about i have no backup those files? so no more chances? OMG!!!
barhund
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Why the world only my server hardsk got this problem?

Post by barhund »

raid refers to how the storage drives are configured into the server... typically they are set up for redundancy so that if one of the drives fails the data isnt lost.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

RAID-protected storage is not going to make you immune to data loss or failures, they normally just make it easier to recover from them. For example, if one drive failed we can swap in another and rebuild the array without issue, beyond a little slowness from the drives it's near invisible to customers.

Sadly, often when one drive fails it means another one is right behind it. In the case of the machine you're referring to, a second drive failed before we could get it replaced and it brought the entire system to a standstill. Currently the drive went from reading at megabytes per second down to kilobytes per second..which has made is impossible to recover large files. We're doing our best to recover what we can, but can only accommodate small critical files. We'll be glad to attempt larger recoveries later, but right now we're prioritizing critical files for customers.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

RAIDs also can't prevent accidental file deletions, corruption due to OS issues, malicious activity, fires, inaccessibility of the files due to a service being disabled, and many rare but potentially very destructive problems. So, it's important that everyone keep backups of irreplaceable, important files on a separate storage device (at minimum), machine (much better) or offsite (best) -- and this applies to personal machines and anything stored in the "cloud", as well.

Internally, we back up all of the services that we manage on behalf of our customers. Game servers are backed up weekly, while other services, including webservers, mail servers, and voice servers, are backed up daily.

We'd like to back up customer VDSes, but unfortunately it just wouldn't be possible without significantly raising prices and reducing performance. We do ensure that all VDSes are on RAIDs to minimize the possibility of a hardware problem causing data loss, but on very rare occasion, multiple drives in the RAID can fail at once.