Hello everyone Looking to make the move back to unmanged Box

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
ChickenWings
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Hello everyone Looking to make the move back to unmanged Box

Post by ChickenWings »

Hey everyone long story short is i bought a Unmanaged Box. Then we decided to switch to a managed Box John Helped us With this Free of Charge. Great Person:)
Problem im facing now is that the Managed box is just holding some stuff back for our Arma 3 server. So im gonna order another Unmanaged Box and cancel my managed one. My question for this is What programs to you guys use to manage ur own box? I will be running a Arma 3 And CS:GO off of it. How do you set the max Players for CS:GO Servers? Never did find that out lol.
Snugzz
A regular
A regular

Re: Hello everyone Looking to make the move back to unmanged Box

Post by Snugzz »

For any source game I use seDirector currently. It helps assign the server to a single core if you want, manage max players, everything essentially, and it's free ( but only up to a max of 5 servers ).

If you don't want to use seDirector then you can always use this for your start.bat file

Code: Select all

@echo off
:start
tasklist /nh /fi "imagename eq srcds.exe" | find /i "srcds.exe" >nul && (
rem
) || (
echo Server start %time%
start C:\<location of your SRCDS>\srcds.exe -console -game "<whatever csgo thing is>" -maxplayers 24+map "de_dust" -ip 66.151.244.239 -port 27015 +exec autoexec.cfg +hostname "Your name" +host_workshop_collection If you got one -authkey API Key if you want? -condebug -tickrate 33
)
ping -n 10 127.0.0.1 > nul
goto start
That should auto restart it if your server crashes. Best of luck to ya!
You may not like my 2 cents. But the next person may need it.
ChickenWings
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by ChickenWings »

Thank you ill give this a try
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

NFO used to be good, but in the past few years I've only seen them go downhill.

Managed installs are just too restrictive. The only benefit to them would be the free IPs that you get. Let me warn you that on a unmanaged install you either have to use the same IP or buy additional IPs.

I would always recommend people to use Linux over Windows when it comes to servers. In your case both games that you have mentioned come with Linux support. In fact, if you want to have stable CSGO servers then definitely go with Linux. Reason is Windows signatures are hard to find when it comes to sourcemod plugins.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

$atanic $pirit wrote:NFO used to be good, but in the past few years I've only seen them go downhill.

Managed installs are just too restrictive. The only benefit to them would be the free IPs that you get. Let me warn you that on a unmanaged install you either have to use the same IP or buy additional IPs.

I would always recommend people to use Linux over Windows when it comes to servers. In your case both games that you have mentioned come with Linux support. In fact, if you want to have stable CSGO servers then definitely go with Linux. Reason is Windows signatures are hard to find when it comes to sourcemod plugins.
Our services definitely haven't gone downhill! If anything we've increased service quality an absurd amount these past few years :) Though, if you're having problems you should always contact us and let us know. We also love hearing feedback from customers on what we may be doing wrong and how we can do it better.

Also, our managed installs really aren't restrictive. Though, we do only allow customers to run games we support. It's really not possible to allow non-supported games on a managed system. Just two different ball parks there :/ Beyond that customers have much more control, plus access to system that normally only staff can use/see.

We would also recommend you stick with Windows for CSGO. Linux can definitely have its benefits, but in the specific case of CSGO its performance has tanked in recent years. It's possible they've corrected some problems, but overall users have reported seeing much higher CPU usage and other smaller problems. Smaller servers are probably fine, but if you're planning on doing 128 tick or a larger server you'll definitely want to keep Windows on the table.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

kraze wrote:We would also recommend you stick with Windows for CSGO. Linux can definitely have its benefits, but in the specific case of CSGO its performance has tanked in recent years. It's possible they've corrected some problems, but overall users have reported seeing much higher CPU usage and other smaller problems. Smaller servers are probably fine, but if you're planning on doing 128 tick or a larger server you'll definitely want to keep Windows on the table.
This all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish. Online communities hardly run competitive hardcore mode. I have heard the same argument from NFO team over and over that CSGO tanks on Linux, but yet they are not ready to disclose any figures.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

$atanic $pirit wrote:
kraze wrote:We would also recommend you stick with Windows for CSGO. Linux can definitely have its benefits, but in the specific case of CSGO its performance has tanked in recent years. It's possible they've corrected some problems, but overall users have reported seeing much higher CPU usage and other smaller problems. Smaller servers are probably fine, but if you're planning on doing 128 tick or a larger server you'll definitely want to keep Windows on the table.
This all comes down to what you are trying to accomplish. Online communities hardly run competitive hardcore mode. I have heard the same argument from NFO team over and over that CSGO tanks on Linux, but yet they are not ready to disclose any figures.
Our information is based off our own testing, customer complaints and the CSGO mailing list which had a lot of people complaining. It's very possible Valve has addressed some of these complaints. I know it's been a long time since the issue originally started. As for numbers, I don't have any to immediately share, but this is something most people can test on their own. This was really just a note so it could be kept in mind for OP or the users reading this in the future.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!