ipv6

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: ipv6

Post by Naleksuh »

Also another thing I should ask is that you should maybe add a way to opt out of IPv6 as my Australian provider offers both IPv4 and IPv6 and it completely fucks with my networking config. I ended up having to use the -ip launch option on that host only!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, IPv6 is not going to be required.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Ah okay. Because on that host they assigned the machine a local IP which created problems. There can still be no local IP if you opt out of V6 right?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Most Linux distributions, by default, automatically enable IPv6 and generate a local IPv6 IP address that starts with fe80:: -- regardless of whether there is upstream support for IPv6. By default, most distributions also enable SLAAC, allowing an upstream router to advertise to it another /64 prefix that will be applied (which the OS then combines with the adapter's MAC address to form a /128).

You can choose to reconfigure the OS to change this behavior. You can even disable IPv6 entirely, with commands like these:

sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

I mean the V4 IP here. On my Australian VDS provider, the game servers I have installed start with both a local IP and a public IP and this causes problems like RCON not working and a number of other stuff. The fix for this is to use the -ip launch option and then it won't use a local IP. It only happens there. But I'm worried that the launch of this IPv6 will break it here too.

Now, I don't really know a whole lot about how networking works. There are things I know a lot about and there are things I don't know a lot about. Networking would be the second one. I'll just see if my stuff breaks when this IPv6 is released and if it is I can bring it up then.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We don't install non-routable IPv4 addresses and most games do not support IPv6. If a game starts supporting IPv6, you may need to set the IP address manually.
lithium720
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by lithium720 »

Ringing the doorbell on this thread in hopes of a timeline update :)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We're close to expanding the beta to more people. I have been working on the Firewall page this week, which is the most important remaining component. Nowadays, it's really an essential feature.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Great. I will be interested to see how IPv6 goes.

Again, it will still be possible to not have it, right? To opt-out and basically just keep things the way they are now, for individual services?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

How's the progress on this? IIRC you said before it would be finished by the end of the year, and another group of people I am referring to NFO may need IPv6 early 2022.

Also, will v6-only be possible, for people who don't want to "waste" IPv4 addresses? (I don't think it is wasteful and think v4 is much better than v6, but some people do)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Progress is being made as I am available to work on it. There are a bunch of little edge cases that need to be dealt with, as with so many systems, but most of the Firewall page is done and tested.

IPv6-only will at least not initially be available on our end. Customers an choose to block IPv4 through their OS, but it won't result in the release of the assigned IPv4 IP, so it won't save an address.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

So is that a yes or a no on early 2022? If no, I suppose we can use IPv4
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

An an update to this, IPv6 has been in beta for a bit now. I am working on a FAQ before mentioning it more widely, but all of the pieces should be in place. Anyone with a VDS who wants to enter the beta should be able to do so, at any location.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Edge100x wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:36 pm An an update to this, IPv6 has been in beta for a bit now. I am working on a FAQ before mentioning it more widely, but all of the pieces should be in place. Anyone with a VDS who wants to enter the beta should be able to do so, at any location.
I don't see an option to do so at any location. I was contacted through the help request system and John/Edge100x enabled IPv6 on two services of mine at my request, but it doesn't seem I have the option to enter the beta. I went through all my other services and there's no checkbox for IPv6, looks like it's still closed off.