Errors on VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Errors on VDS

Post by Edge100x »

You will see errors about printer drivers/printers missing when you try to connect via RDP and try to share or use a printer. We don't have printers connected to our VDSes in the datacenter, and to print from your VDS, you'd need to configure it to work appropriately through RDP. Unless you're interested in printing, you can ignore those.

Logon audit failures would stem from a 3rd party trying to log in to your VDS. Attackers are constantly testing the security of all devices attached to the internet, so this is expected. As long as you use a good password, these should not represent a problem. You should also go through our 'general security steps' KB article and make sure that you are following as many of its recommendations as practicable for your situation: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4746
canadianmann07
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by canadianmann07 »

On the attackers topic... Password.. Your talking about the password to log into the VDS, Remote Desktop Connection? Cause I use the system PW from the control panel for that. I haven't changed that PW once. Should I be changing it regularly to throw off attackers?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, I mean that one. You should change it occasionally, as with all passwords, but the most important thing is that it be secure and something that can't be brute-forced (in anyone's lifetime).
canadianmann07
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by canadianmann07 »

So why isn't it secure?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

canadianmann07 wrote:So why isn't it secure?
The default password is like most other default passwords. They are randomly generated, and decently secure, but since you didn't generate it, and we must pass it to you in plain text it becomes less secure. You should always change the default password to a more secure one to minimize any risk.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

When I said "it be secure", I meant the one that you change it to, not the default one. You need to choose one that is difficult to brute-force, just as our default one is difficult to brute-force.
canadianmann07
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by canadianmann07 »

Is there somewhere I can create my own passwords? I created new ones from the control panel but those are generated for me, or is that all that's available?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

canadianmann07 wrote:Is there somewhere I can create my own passwords? I created new ones from the control panel but those are generated for me, or is that all that's available?
Yes, you can set your own password from directly within the OS.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
canadianmann07
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by canadianmann07 »

kraze wrote:
canadianmann07 wrote:Is there somewhere I can create my own passwords? I created new ones from the control panel but those are generated for me, or is that all that's available?
Yes, you can set your own password from directly within the OS.
Edge mentioned that already.... Where? lol In Users in Control Panel? Cause I don't understand how to actually change the password from there. I have one account, Administrator. It is the local account, it's the administrator and is password protected.... Never mind. Takes a bit of moving around. Have to go to manage another account, then click administrator and then change password from User Accounts in Control Panel.
canadianmann07
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by canadianmann07 »

So I just tried changing the password and that's a no go. If the password should be the system password on my NFO Control Panel then I'm putting in the right current password. I'm pretty sure the new passwords matched. The error is that the password I typed is incorrect... WTF?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

To be clear, if you change the password in the control panel, that doesn't take effect until the next OS installation. In this case, the previous password is listed in the Events log, in case you need to look it up still (though only for 2 weeks).

As for changing the password within the OS, you can do that in Windows by logging in to remote desktop, pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, and then selecting the option to change the password.
TimeX