Testing a Linux Counter-Strike:Source server ...

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Testing a Linux Counter-Strike:Source server ...

Post by doulos9 »

Hello, forgive me if this has been asked before but I don't have time to wade through 48 pages of results when I searched for this.

I get periodic complaints about server performance and shot registration they say only happens on my server. Several diehard Linux users claim I can get better performance if I switch to Linux. I want to test a Linux server CS:S on a VDS, but am not sure what I need to ensure a good result (roughly equivalent to Windows performance - or better). What would I need to get to host a 40-slot server running MM:S/SM + about 40 plugins. Currently I am using Windows Managed VDS. I have heard Windows if better optimized for game servers (especially NFO's stand-alone game servers), but want to see for myself how a Linux server does.

Would a 1-core be enough to handle a full 40-slot CS:S server for this test? I can handle the unmanaged install myself.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Testing a Linux Counter-Strike:Source server ...

Post by Edge100x »

I would not expect for you to see better performance under Linux with a CS:S server, but you can certainly try. Historically, CS:S has performed better on Windows, but it's always possible that Valve has optimized their code to bring more parity to the two.

In terms of the OS itself, when it comes to game hosting, Windows and Linux are comparable, and neither has a particular performance edge -- with the exception of the firewall component. The Linux firewall is fast, powerful, and usable, whereas the Windows firewall is none of those things. With a VDS, though, you can usually get away with disabling the firewall entirely on either OS, and just using our Firewall page.

I generally recommend a 2-core package as the smallest that customers should use, since it gives the OS and other applications some capacity to run on the second core without impacting the performance of the first core. CS:S is also lightly multithreaded, so if performance at high player counts is your aim, you'll need that extra core.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

40 slot would definitely require 2 core. From my personal experience Linux has been on par, if not better in certain situations when it comes to running a server machine.

- What is your current windows configuration?
- Are you running out of resources on your machine?
- Also what is your set fps on the server?
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

4-core Managed Windows VDS with mostly NFO's default server settings, MM:S, SM, 35 plugins:
[SM] Listing 35 plugins:
01 "Admin File Reader" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
02 "Admin Help" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
03 "Admin Menu" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
04 "Admin loggin" (1.0) by vIr-Dan
05 "Advertisements" (0.6) by Tsunami
06 "Anti-Flood" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
07 "Basic Chat" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
08 "Basic Comm Control" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
09 "Basic Commands" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
10 "Basic Info Triggers" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
11 "Basic Votes" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
12 "Client Preferences" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
13 "Extra Cash" (0.2) by Peoples Army
14 "Fun Commands" (1.8.0.5948) by AlliedModders LLC
15 "Damage report" (1.1.13) by [30+]Gemeni
16 "GIVE"
17 "Nextmap" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
18 "Noblock players and Nades" (2.1) by Originally by Tony G. Fixed by Rogue
19 "Player Commands" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
20 "SourceBans Checker" ((SB++) 1.5.4.6) by psychonic, Ca$h Munny, Sarabveer(VEER™)
21 "SourceBans: Admin Config Loader" ((SB++) 1.5.4.6) by AlliedModders LLC, Sarabveer(VEER™)
22 "SourceMod Anti-Cheat" (0.8.6.0) by SMAC Development Team
23 "SMAC Command Monitor" (0.8.6.0) by SMAC Development Team
24 "Sound Commands" (1.7.3-dev+5317) by AlliedModders LLC
25 "SourceBans++" (1.5.4.6) by SourceBans Development Team, Sarabveer(VEER™)
26 "SourceComms" ((SB++) 1.5.4.6) by Alex, Sarabveer(VEER™)
27 "spawntools7" (0.9) by meng
28 "SuperLogs: CSS" (1.2.4) by psychonic
29 "SwapTeam" (1.2.6) by Rogue - Originally by MistaGee
30 "[UMC] Admin Menu" (3.4.5) by Steell
31 "[UMC] Ultimate Mapchooser Core" (3.4.5) by Steell
32 "[UMC] Map Commands" (3.4.5) by Steell
33 "[UMC] Vote Command" (3.4.5) by Steell
34 "Updater" (1.3.0) by GoD-Tony (Updated by jballou)
35 "Weapon Restrict" (3.1.6) by Dr!fter

None of these plugins use a remote database. I have tried running the server with most of the plugins unloaded at one time or another and none have made a noticable difference.

We get random instances (weekly-ish) of CPU maxing out a 4-core VDS. This causes the server to go offline and sometimes I cannot get it started through the CP. The automatic restart after 2 successive queries is usually the only thing that will get it running again. Once the whole VDS froze and I had to restart it. I have not been able to narrow down the issue. The server is restarted at 6PM everyday and it will run fine most days and then for some unknown reason it will hang - same config, same rotation, There are only 2 CS:S servers running and the second is almost always empty, the most players it has ever seen at one time was 16 or so - and this was only when the main game server was down.

I was not aware the FPS was able to be changed. Typing stats in console returns 66.72, or so no matter how many players are online.

Thanks for your replies.
$atanic $pirit
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by $atanic $pirit »

Maybe John can chime in here and answer this, but isn't CSS a single threaded application? Would that not imply that all cores beside one are being used by the application. The only time a process should jump is when there are multiple applications fighting for processing time.

On a broad observation, you can run the same server on 2 core Linux VDS. Gentoo, the Linux distro that NFO uses to run its managed servers on only uses 2% of CPU and less than 150 RAM. I can get away by running 2 l4d2 servers on a single core VDS. Obviously on the windows side its a different story, as OS alone needs 2 cores to run properly.

In regards to your FPS question. I'm pretty sure there is a metamod plugin that can uncap the server's FPS. What are the highs and lows? I can't answer that, as I never ran a CSS server.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

CS:S is somewhat multithreaded, as it allows offloading of certain functions to helper threads (entity packing and snapshot sending, at least). I haven't seen an unmodded CS:S server use more than 200% CPU, so if this server was using four entire cores, there was almost certainly a plugin bug involved. If it hangs, that is likely also from a plugin.

If the FPS counter always shows 66, then you aren't seeing a performance problem, and you wouldn't see an improvement from switching to Linux (even if it offers better performance -- since you're already doing as well as you can). You could try a tickrate of 100 if you'd like -- we talk more about that here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4627

If the only performance complaint from users is "shot registration" and the server shows perfect stats in their net_graph output (constant tickrate, no packet loss, no choke), then the problem is client-side -- with the client.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

I am running a few older plugins that are no longer maintained. I will copy my last post to the Sourcemod forum to see if they know of an issue with any of the plugins I am currently running.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the issues with high CPU/hangs only happens when the server is changing to a new map. Never the same map and not always on a map it has previously hung on. 380+ CPU has only happened a few times, but 100+ many, many times.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Do you have a stats plugin that loads or saves a database when a map is loaded? We've seen customers have problems with those in the past. There are also other types of plugins that trigger on map changes, performing extra calculations.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

No stats plugin. I did have savescores plugin running but it was not set to save scores from map to map. However, that plugin was one that I tried removing to see if it helped - it did not.

If a map triggered it wouldn't it do so everytime that map loads?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It is difficult to say, because it depends on how the plugin would be coded. One thing you could do would be to check to see if there's heavy hard drive access the whole time.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

This is currently on a Windows managed VDS since I have not yet obtained a Linux server for testing. What tools do I have available to check drive access on a managed VDS?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That's something that we'd have to take a look at for you.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

That's what I thought. The problem is that there is no way to predict when it will happen. A few weeks ago it was happening a couple times a week, but it hasn't happened for almost 2 weeks now.