Inquiries about VPS plans

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Inputnamehere
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Inquiries about VPS plans

Post by Inputnamehere »

@Edge100x

I have used nfo for a while now, but never really asked about the service so I have a set of questions.
  • - Do the vps servers come with 1Gbps? Maybe 10Gbps link one to each virtual server?

- Do you keep logs such as usage(sites visited)/Time Stamp (start/end of VPN session + duration)/IP addresses, as I am running a vpn server?

- What/are there DNS servers I could use to replace my ISPs on my router or via local network adapter when streaming netflix/game for example?

- Part of the dns question, when connecting to the vpn on your network does it automatically connect to your dns servers? Or is that a setting?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Inquiries about VPS plans

Post by Edge100x »

Inputnamehere wrote:- Do the vps servers come with 1Gbps? Maybe 10Gbps link one to each virtual server?
Current machines have 1 Gbps adapters in them. The next generation of hardware may start including 10 Gbps adapters widely, and we'll run those then, if so.

Since we use local storage and don't need to migrate customers between machines very often, we don't require the large amount of network capacity to each machine that many VPS hosts do. We just need to be concerned with what customers themselves need, and we haven't been seeing customers hitting the 1 Gbps limit. (Though local storage can be more expensive than a monolithic networked array, it is faster, lower-latency, and avoids concern about network problems.)
- Do you keep logs such as usage(sites visited)/Time Stamp (start/end of VPN session + duration)/IP addresses, as I am running a vpn server?
Unmanaged VDSes are essentially black boxes to us. We don't know what customers are running on them and we do not record or attempt to deconstruct application-layer activity. The only logs that we keep are router traffic samples (typically a random 2% of all traffic) for the purposes of identifying (D)DoS attacks, and those are automatically deleted after 48 hours.
- What/are there DNS servers I could use to replace my ISPs on my router or via local network adapter when streaming netflix/game for example?
We recommend using Google's servers, which are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. These are what our services come configured with by default. You could also consider using OpenDNS, Level(3)'s servers, or Internap's servers.
- Part of the dns question, when connecting to the vpn on your network does it automatically connect to your dns servers? Or is that a setting?
Our own DNS servers are only used to serve domains that we host here and aren't open as general-purpose recursive services, so no VPN service on our network will be using them.
Inputnamehere
A regular
A regular

Post by Inputnamehere »

Thank you for reassuring me! I forgot to ask:

Why does the windows firewall have less settings than the linux one?

What CPU(s) are used for vps? Not desktop cpus I hope, I read somewhere you did?

I'm just curious about the DNS servers because I've seen sites before always publicly giving out dns servers of regular hosts for netflix streaming / bypassing country restricted sites. So could Google's dns servers help with that? I'm thinking if that were the case then everyone would use Google's servers.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Inputnamehere wrote:Why does the windows firewall have less settings than the linux one?
This is a question that you'd have to put to Microsoft.

We would love it if they had as many options as Linux does, but they went another direction. The Windows firewall doesn't even support turning off state tracking!
What CPU(s) are used for vps? Not desktop cpus I hope, I read somewhere you did?
We do not use any desktop CPUs, anywhere in our network. All of our VDSes run on Xeon processors of various types. The newest ones use E5-2697A v4 processors right now (as of 6/8/17) -- something that will change, of course, as soon as the next generation of processors is released.
I'm just curious about the DNS servers because I've seen sites before always publicly giving out dns servers of regular hosts for netflix streaming / bypassing country restricted sites. So could Google's dns servers help with that? I'm thinking if that were the case then everyone would use Google's servers.
I am not familiar with the special DNS servers that you're referring to. Google's DNS servers return standard, unmolested output that reflects what Google receives when it follows normal lookup procedures -- meaning that it returns what the domain owner's DNS server tells it to return.
Inputnamehere
A regular
A regular

Post by Inputnamehere »

Are you utilizing Nftables for linux and Windivert for windows?

This is an example (https://everydayelectronics.co/american ... dns-codes/) of dns ips users would use connect to their servers to stream netflix. DigitalOcean has a couple of IPs listed on that site and they don't offer standard dns servers so are users hosting their own on a vps?

Just looking for info if how I can use/create a dns server using my vps, as I don't always connect via openvpn and sometimes just want to connect via dns and stream/bypass country restrictions, nothing about privacy.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Inputnamehere wrote:Are you utilizing Nftables for linux and Windivert for windows?
You are welcome to use whatever you'd like to use inside of an unmanaged VDS. On our end, for managed services, we use iptables on Linux, and we do not offer a Windows firewall service, because we have not found a firewall tool that can stand up to random-source spoofed UDP DoS attacks (which is mostly because nearly all tools use the built-in BFE system, and all of those which do not, we have not been able to make work).

I haven't experimented with "Windivert", but it would be an example of a tool that would not meet our own internal needs, since it is not in-kernel. Its performance will be too low to help block DoS attacks, and it would magnify the impact of small attacks.
This is an example (https://everydayelectronics.co/american ... dns-codes/) of dns ips users would use connect to their servers to stream netflix. DigitalOcean has a couple of IPs listed on that site and they don't offer standard dns servers so are users hosting their own on a vps?
That site seems to just be posting public DNS server IP addresses, and I don't know why they're calling them "codes" (perhaps English is not their first language). It's possible that the listed DNS servers are geographically located such that Netflix returns certain local IP addresses to queries made from them, allowing localized client to be viewed regardless of the IP address of the actual client. If so, then Google's DNS servers would work fine from inside the VDS, too, as long as the desired content to be viewed is available in the country hosting the VPN.

You're free to specify whatever DNS servers you want to use, and welcome to experiment.
Just looking for info if how I can use/create a dns server using my vps, as I don't always connect via openvpn and sometimes just want to connect via dns and stream/bypass country restrictions, nothing about privacy.
I would not expect any advantage to running a local DNS server on your VDS, but you can do so if you wish.