VPN Setup on new VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

VPN Setup on new VDS

Post by doulos9 »

WOW. I followed John's "How-to" in the knowledge base to set up a VPN. BAM! It was really that easy.
cbeaches420
New to forums
New to forums

Re: VPN Setup on new VDS

Post by cbeaches420 »

doulos9 wrote:WOW. I followed John's "How-to" in the knowledge base to set up a VPN. BAM! It was really that easy.
Glad they can help. Saved me a million times.
The auto install script is amazing. Did you figure out how to forward ports? Are you using your VPN with a gaming system?
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

Not for gaming. I use it to get around Comcast's blocking of web servers for getting access to my owncloud server in my study when I am away from home. I only connect through VPN when I know I am going to be out of town for a whole day, or more. If anyone knows how to get an xfinity modem to forward ports without using a VPN I'd sure like to know. Supposedly, they do not block any of the ports I use, but something is blocking them. I was able to forward ports in the past when I used my own modem.
iDon
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by iDon »

doulos9 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:33 am WOW. I followed John's "How-to" in the knowledge base to set up a VPN. BAM! It was really that easy.
what How-to is that? I been trying to look for it and no luck.
We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

We have a guide for this here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11034
omarhassan
New to forums
New to forums

Post by omarhassan »

guys i did everything right but when i signed in to openvpn i press start the server it denied it was after the 10th step

process started and then immediately exited: ['Thu Jul 12 00:47:55 2018 Linux ifconfig failed: could not execute external program']
service failed to start or returned error status
process started and then immediately exited: ['Thu Jul 12 00:47:55 2018 Linux ifconfig failed: could not execute external program']
service failed to start or returned error status

any clue
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Have you tried wiping and using the other set of steps?
omarhassan
New to forums
New to forums

Post by omarhassan »

do u mean when i am doing the how-to i type clear or what
omarhassan
New to forums
New to forums

Post by omarhassan »

for your post john i had to copy a guy on youtube that does the same steps tell if he is right or not so if he isnt that means i did it wrong and also at the end he will get an error the exact same one i sent on my old post here but i didnt understand how he fixed it
omarhassan
New to forums
New to forums

Post by omarhassan »

this time i didnt use the youtube i tried to do it by your steps 1 by one ok so i wrote wget and the the copy link location after this i wrote dpkg -i openvpn and then the tab key i pressed enter then got 3 errors at the end saying

Could not read active profile name: profile/key _INTERNAL/run_api.active_profile not found in sqlite:////usr/local/openvpn_as/etc/db/config.db: util/options:79,db/confdb_admin:280,db/confdb:531,db/confdb:523,<string>:1,sagent/sagent_entry:38,db/confdb_admin:354,util/options:79,db/confdb_admin:280,db/confdb:531,db/confdb:523,util/error:61,util/error:44

i got this 3 times at the same time i dont know whats wrong but is there anyway you remote control my laptop or is it easy to solve no need cause it been 2 days till now and i dont know how to do it and thx