HTTPS on VPS running xampp

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
airitech
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

HTTPS on VPS running xampp

Post by airitech »

Hey guys!
My next project is to get the website im hosting on my VPS using xampp secured with https. I'm attempting to use letsencrypt, but im having some issues. Im not sure whether i just need to obtain a certificate and place it somewhere on the VPS and then redirect in my http-ssl.conf in apache, or if first i need to somehow enable IIS on the server itself first. Some steps i saw online were looking up windows features, but when i do that it takes me to the server manager. So if you guys have any input on what it to takes to get a certificate or the steps to do so it would be appreciated!
Thankyou so much!
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: HTTPS on VPS running xampp

Post by Vanderburg »

I wouldn't be able to help myself with Let's Encrypt (Though, I would encourage others to reply), but I strongly recommend against using XAMMP. It's notoriously insecure and can provide a point of access for your VDS being compromised. I recommend instead manually installing Apache, MySQL and PHP, for which we have a guide here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11140

If you require a control panel, you might consider Plesk, which you could get for $5/month on a VDS that is regularly updated. Vesta is a free stack with control panel I've used in the past and was happy with. You also can consider simply using our webhosting, which starts at $3/month and includes Let's Encrypt support for free.
airitech
New to forums
New to forums

Post by airitech »

Vanderburg wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 pm I wouldn't be able to help myself with Let's Encrypt (Though, I would encourage others to reply), but I strongly recommend against using XAMMP. It's notoriously insecure and can provide a point of access for your VDS being compromised. I recommend instead manually installing Apache, MySQL and PHP, for which we have a guide here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11140

If you require a control panel, you might consider Plesk, which you could get for $5/month on a VDS that is regularly updated. Vesta is a free stack with control panel I've used in the past and was happy with. You also can consider simply using our webhosting, which starts at $3/month and includes Let's Encrypt support for free.
I did use your service, the reason for me personally switching is because you guys upgraded to PHP 7.0 and the custom webscript i was using was not compatible and will never become compatible. XAMPP allows for me to use PHP 5.X.X so that it works flawlessly. Your service was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and I wish I could have continued to use it. I also looked at the tutorial and it appears that was for linux, i am running windows server 2008 r2! I apologize.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Do you need Windows for a particular reason? Using a Linux-based tool, like Vesta, Plesk or installing the stack manually, you could save the money from not needing a Windows license.