Require password before OS wipe

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
squirrelof09
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Require password before OS wipe

Post by squirrelof09 »

Under the server control page there is a simple checkbox saying knowing this cannot be undone, then just below it an Install New OS button.

I have always felt uneasy when I visit this page. Always panicky and compulsive to make sure I didn't accidentally toggle this button because all it takes is 2 simple accidental mouse clicks in the nearby area, and poof! the data is gone. I sometimes let my child sit in my lap, and she likes to hit keys. (Yes I know never have a child in your lap that likes to press buttons when you're trying program! lol)

I am suggesting it require you to enter your NFO password before continuing on with a server wipe.

Can this be done?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Require password before OS wipe

Post by Edge100x »

We appreciate the suggestion. We're always evaluating ways to improve our systems.

In terms of more general steps to safeguard your data, I very strongly recommend that you also keep off-site backups. There are many ways that files can be lost -- not just accidental wipes, but also compromises, viruses, buggy applications, mistakes made inside the OS, and unusual hardware failure scenarios. It may seem unnecessary if you haven't dealt with data loss before, but it truly is important to always keep backups. They have come up many times for me, personally.
squirrelof09
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Require password before OS wipe

Post by squirrelof09 »

Backups for sure. I haven't accidentally done this before yet.

The idea here is prevention.