Server Location Change/Upgrade

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
ckap
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server Location Change/Upgrade

Post by ckap »

I've looked around the knowledgebase and I can't find anything about the subject. Sorry if I've missed something.

Is there a way to move my VDS to a different location? One of my teammates recently had to change ISP's and we're averaging better pings as a team to Chicago than we are to Dallas now. Can I have my VDS moved from Dallas to Chicago?
ckap
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Server Location Change/Upgrade

Post by ckap »

Ah, figured it out.

To alter your server, go to the VDS order page and make any adjustments to the order you filled out previously. When you've finished, there's a radio button near the bottom of the order form that lets you alter an existing server. Use this and follow the instructions on the next page.

Sorry for my inability to read.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Also, importantly, moving to another location will only work for unmanaged VDSs. It's not possible to move a managed VDS (because it involves multiple packages), but we do have a workaround we can explain to anyone needing to do this if they open a support request.
FreaksMisfits
New to forums
New to forums

Post by FreaksMisfits »

So, for clarity ... If I had a un-managed VDS hosted in Dallas, and wanted to relocate it to Chicago - there's a mechanism to do that? Presumably moving the entire VM image? (i.e. all the contents).

PS: I presume the IP address would change. But, otherwise all bits would come over as-is?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The order page can be used to move the server to a new location or change other specifications about it. Changes made to the order page will not alter the contents of your VDS' disk image.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Fortunately, the order page will ignore the operating system selection for the purpose of change order, to prevent just that. The only way to have the system erase data on a VDS would be to reinstall the operating system from the Server Control tab of your VDS control panel.

You are correct that changing locations will cause the IP to change, as they are linked to each location. When this happens, the system will not automatically update your IP address within the operating system, so you'll be unable to reach the VDS over the internet, but our system will automatically post easy-to-follow instructions on the Events Log tab of your VDS control panel for updating the IP address within the OS.
FreaksMisfits
New to forums
New to forums

Post by FreaksMisfits »

Thanks for the response.
I assumed, I would have to go into the console via VNC or something to update the IP locally as it would be temporarily cut-off from the Internet until that the IP updated in the OS, etc.