/boot sector in a new 1-core linux VDS

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

/boot sector in a new 1-core linux VDS

Post by doulos9 »

Can anyone confirm that the file structure on a new VDS does not have a separate (way too small) /boot directory?
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Re: /boot sector in a new 1-core linux VDS

Post by hiimcody1 »

Our newer OS images have the /boot partition removed and instead use a single partition for the / filesystem.

The reason that the /boot partition is smaller like that was a holdover from when machines could not access large partitions during early startup. The size of /boot on older images is correct for that.

Newer versions of grub and kernels now allow for that to be a single partition.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: /boot sector in a new 1-core linux VDS

Post by doulos9 »

Just was wondering because I am having trouble getting enough space in my boot sector to finish an update. I have tried all the suggested ways to remove old kernels without success. It is showing only the current kernel and the one that did not finish installing because of "not enough space". I am considering just getting a new VDS and moving everything over, but did not want to pay for a new one and then find that it, too, had a separate /boot sector.

Thanks for your reply.