How do you manage your game servers on a VPS?

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
cB.SplatterGuts
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How do you manage your game servers on a VPS?

Post by cB.SplatterGuts »

General question for the community with a bit of back story.

We run a gaming community with ~35 members and ~8 admins. I don't like granting direct VPS access (RDP, VNC, TeamViewer) to my admins to start/stop a game server. I was using FireDaemon to turn my game's EXE into a service, then using the FireDaemon Fusion program to host a nice web interface for basic start/stop management.

Unfortunately, this setup was only working with a Windows Server 2008 R2 install (some weird limitation in compatibility with FireDaemon and MOHAA), and now that I've upgraded to Windows Server 2012 R2 it's not a viable option.

In the past I've used programs like Open Game Panel with limited success.

I'm curious to see how other groups are managing (start/stop) for game servers on their Windows-based VPS builds.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: How do you manage your game servers on a VPS?

Post by TacTicToe »

dustinandband
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Re: How do you manage your game servers on a VPS?

Post by dustinandband »

What games do your servers run? and do they offer in-game server-side modding or scripting support?

Generally I find it easiest to script server-side mods to automate things like restarting servers every so often. This is an example specific to source based games (in this case, L4D2), but you can see a potential use of game modding (a plugin) + utilizing the power of a VPS and not a game-server (though this example is linux based: making use of a cron job & bash shell script):
https://www.l4dnation.com/l4d2-discussi ... n#msg52086

It would be easy to add further to the plugin allowing players to vote to restart the server, though not needed since it restarts anyway once everyone leaves. The possibilities of scripting are really endless.

I know you said you where on windows (and may or may not be working with source-based games), so I'm not sure what the equivilant to a cron job script is on windows. But I'm just giving one example of automating a task to manually keep admins from having to do stuff.

Generally I try to automate tasks as much as possible in this way cause I'm a lazy admin lol