3rd party (rconnect) Vs Host Game Management

Ask questions about dedicated servers here and we and other users will do our best to answer them. Please also refer to the self-help section for tutorials and answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Swh0rD
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

3rd party (rconnect) Vs Host Game Management

Post by Swh0rD »

Has anyone else here that uses rconnect noticed that server performance seems to improve without it? For the 2nd time in less than 2 weeks, this extremely unreliable plugin has gone dark and is MIA. We're now managing our BF4 server strictly through NFO.

While I want to give rcon the benefit of the doubt and A/B with/without when (if) they ever come back online, yesterday was the first time I've played on the server w/o it and man.....the hit reg was CRAZY good w/o it. Like to the point players were asking if "damage was set to 50%?" and another with a comment "I feel like I'm hacking" lol...Honestly in the over 4yrs of playing I have never experienced reg this good. We have a premium BF4 server running at 40hz as it is but this is truly staggering and I'm wondering if all the math rcon has to do on their own server, and then however many hops they take at 150ms is dragging down the performance? If this is the case, while I really love the simplicity and additional options (some of which are just gimmicks) I will do away with it in a NY minute if in fact it's bogging down our GG's and take hit reg over convenience

Any insights will be appreciated

[2Gs] Swh0rD

PS - total props to NFO. Fantastic service and their servers are fantastic.
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Re: 3rd party (rcon) Vs Host Game Management

Post by hiimcody1 »

Swh0rD wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:53 pm Has anyone else here that uses rconnect noticed that server performance seems to improve without it? For the 2nd time in less than 2 weeks, this extremely unreliable plugin has gone dark and is MIA. We're now managing our BF4 server strictly through NFO.

While I want to give rcon the benefit of the doubt and A/B with/without when (if) they ever come back online, yesterday was the first time I've played on the server w/o it and man.....the hit reg was CRAZY good w/o it. Like to the point players were asking if "damage was set to 50%?" and another with a comment "I feel like I'm hacking" lol...Honestly in the over 4yrs of playing I have never experienced reg this good. We have a premium BF4 server running at 40hz as it is but this is truly staggering and I'm wondering if all the math rcon has to do on their own server, and then however many hops they take at 150ms is dragging down the performance? If this is the case, while I really love the simplicity and additional options (some of which are just gimmicks) I will do away with it in a NY minute if in fact it's bogging down our GG's and take hit reg over convenience

Any insights will be appreciated

[2Gs] Swh0rD

PS - total props to NFO. Fantastic service and their servers are fantastic.
We definitely have seen issues brought on by external RCON clients. It is one of the first things we recommend customers try disabling when troubleshooting lag with BF4 and BF3.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: 3rd party (rconnect) Vs Host Game Management

Post by Edge100x »

It mostly comes down to the number of commands that are being sent to the server by the remote management system. If it is continually sending commands, those can slow down the server because they all have to be handled in the main game thread.

Just streaming the logs to another host may have some impact, as well, but I'd be less certain of that.
Swh0rD
New to forums
New to forums

Re: 3rd party (rconnect) Vs Host Game Management

Post by Swh0rD »

Ah, thanks. It makes total sense and am glad this was figured out sooner than later. In hindsight rcon going down was a happy accident! :D